PDA

View Full Version : Spamassassin setup with Postfix, Dovecot, Amavis

snurckle
20th March 2005, 10:38 PM
Linux newb here (well sort of) For years I've been leaching off my ol' man's knowledge of Linux, and can move around somewhat, but consider myself pretty new when it comes to setting up mail servers.

I've got Postfix running, amavisd, clamav, and dovecot. (Headers on emails say "X virus scanned: amavisd-new at snurckle.net"

Anyhow, so I'm trying to get Spamassassin set up, and can't seem to figure out how to incorporate it in to the mail server.
/var/log/messages reports-

Mar 20 13:46:57 homer postfix/qmgr[8845]: warning: connect to transport spamassassin: Connection refused

As far as editting the main.cf and master.cf file- no clue what to put in there. Most howto's seem to hint towards using procmail, and I've already got dovecot set up.

Can anybody help me get Spamassassin set up?

Thanks

snurckle
21st March 2005, 05:07 PM
This problem seems to not be a problem, but more so a feature of using amavisd.

Can somebody clarify whether my 'thinking' is right or wrong.

It seems when emails which either clearly are not SPAM or are from $mydomain, they are not passed to SpamAssassin, therefore showing no X-SPAM filter in the header. Since Spamassassin does not scan every email, the above error is present, and will continue to scroll the maillog, since the port is blocked by amavisd-new, and opened when needed.

Amavisd-new scans emails for potential spam, and if suspected of being Spam it is passed off to SpamAssassin, otherwise it is passed off to clamav, or whatever anti-virus software is installed.

I'm only speculating on what is going on. When I send mail to myself, no 'spam' filter is shown in the header. When I received email from outside my network which was in HTML format, it was scanned and given a score.

I used to use MIME-DEFANG in my previous mail server config- sendmail, clamav, spamassassin, dovecot. It was a pain in the neck to set up, and I wanted to get away from sendmail. I run a very small mail server, mostly for myself and wife, and use the machine as a learning tool.

Am I right in thinking that my previous error wasn't really an error, but a feature of using amavisd-new with postfix.