PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8V Deluxe and ECC RAM

Macsek
20th March 2005, 10:33 AM
Asus A8V Deluxe owners help me please!

Does this motherboard support ECC RAM? The Asus page says it supports only non-ECC RAM, but I've downloaded the manual and found some description on ECC settings in BIOS... :confused:

Maybe the older revision (1.02) had EEC support?

Thank you!

macemoneta
20th March 2005, 04:38 PM
From the ASUS specifications for that motherboard:

Memory :
- 4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 non-ECC un-buffered DDR SDRAM memory
- Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Personally, I only buy ECC memory and motherboards that support it (currently running on an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe). There's also ChipKill (PDF) (http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/campaigns/chipkill.pdf) support in this motherboard, which is essential with larger memory sizes.

fabecool
12th April 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Macemonta,

I have the same motherboard (K8V SE deluxe), and I've had a lot of problems with it: my system freezes and/or restarts, and I loose everything I was doing. I tried another OS, same problem. Then I went into the bios, and found that ECC was on, but

1) I don't know anything about ECC
2) I know that my memory does not support ECC

I changed nothing in my bios settings since I updated it, so these are the default settings. Should I disable the ECC in the bios?

I'm asking you because you seem to know what you're talking about...

Thanks a lot

flatproject
12th April 2005, 10:47 PM
Hi fabecool, if your memory is NOT ECC (error correction) and probably isnt as you say, then you can safely disable it from the BIOS and see if your OS becomes more stable. You can always access BIOS in case you want to change it back to initial setting.

fabecool
13th April 2005, 08:33 AM
Thank you, flatproject, that's what I did, and so far it has proven successful, but for how long? I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

flatproject
13th April 2005, 02:47 PM
Fabecool, im glad it worked:)

flashdog
2nd October 2006, 09:04 PM
hello,
Cool 'n' Quiet work on your ASUS K8V SE deluxe under FC5?