PDA

View Full Version : avi to DVD

Edward Lichtner
18th March 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi all,
What software do you use to convert an avi file into a DVD that can be played on a standard DVD deck ? I usually use K3b to burn the actual disk, but I lack the avi to DVD conversion step.
Thanks in advance,
Edward

jtang613
18th March 2005, 02:51 PM
I usually use avidemux2 and qDVDauthor to create a DVD compitible video / file structure.

Jason

Edward Lichtner
18th March 2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Jason,
I installed avidemux2 and dvdauthor with Yum Extender. No problem.
I then downloaded qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.src.rpm on sourceforge.net, the site mentions the following dependencies (among others) : netpbm and mjpegtools. netpbm installed OK, but mjpegtools has failed dependencies and qdvdauthor fails to install.
Is there a simple was of installing qdvdauthor with automatic resolving of dependencies, such as with Yum or similar ?
Edward

jtang613
18th March 2005, 11:55 PM
With apt/synaptic and ATrpms, yes. Not sure about yum... But you can get mjpegtools here:
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc3/mjpegtools/mjpegtools-1.6.2-8.rhfc3.at.src.rpm

This is the src.rpm so it provides both mjpegtools and mjpegtools-devel (for building qdvdauthor)

Jason

Edward Lichtner
19th March 2005, 12:18 AM
OK for mjpegtools with Yum, using ATrpms repository. Worked fine.
But I still cannot install qdvdauthor (I have dvdauthor installed OK). It bumps both as a regular user and as root. I get the following :

[edward@localhost ~]$ rpm -i qdvd*
warning: qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID b90d278f
error: cannot write to %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
[edward@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost edward]# rpm -i qdvd*
warning: qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID b90d278f
warning: user sbarn does not exist - using root
warning: group sbarn does not exist - using root
[root@localhost edward]# rpm -q qdvd*
package qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.src.rpm is not installed
[root@localhost edward]#

Any clue what's going on ?
Thanks for your help, Jason. We'll get it going, I'm positive...
Edward

jtang613
19th March 2005, 12:45 AM
Ah yes... This is a src rpm.

rpmbuild --rebuild qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/qdvdauthor-0.0.9-3.i386.rpm
Jason

Edward Lichtner
19th March 2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the cue, Jason. Now avidemux2 and qDVDauthor are both set up. QDVDAuthor can be lauched from the main menu. But I'm not quite sure how to generate a DVD from an avi file.
When I launch qDVDauthor, then load the avi with "Add movie" then "Create DVD", I get the following errors :

cmd> /usr/bin/jpeg2yuv -n 50 -I p -f 29.97 -j "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/background.jpg" |/usr/bin/mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -o "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.m2v"
cmd> /usr/bin/arecord -f dat -twav -d 1 /dev/stdout |/usr/bin/mp2enc -r 48000 -o "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mp2"
cmd> /usr/bin/mplex -f 8 -o "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mpg" "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.m2v" "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mp2"
cmd> /usr/bin/spumux "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.xml" < "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mpg" > "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM_menu.mpg"
cmd> /usr/bin/dvdauthor -x "/tmp/Unnamed/dvdauthor.xml"

INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Parsing & checking input files.
**ERROR: [jpeg2yuv] System error while opening: "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/background.jpg": No such file or directory
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX for TRANSFORM!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
**ERROR: [mpeg2enc] Could not read YUV4MPEG2 header: system error (failed read/write)!
Recording WAVE '/dev/stdout' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
INFO: [mp2enc] Opened WAV file, freq = 48000 Hz, channels = 2, bits = 16
INFO: [mp2enc] format = 0x1, audio length = 192000 bytes
INFO: [mp2enc] slots/frame = 672
INFO: [mp2enc] frac SpF=0.000, tot bitrate=224 kbps, s freq=48.0 kHz
INFO: [mp2enc] System is little endian
INFO: [mp2enc] Avg slots/frame = inf; b/smp = inf; br = inf kbps
INFO: [mp2enc] Encoding with psychoacoustic model 2 is finished
INFO: [mp2enc] The MPEG encoded output file name is "/tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mp2"
INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.6.2 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file /tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.m2v for reading.
/tmp/execute.sh: line 3: /tmp/Unnamed/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mpg: No such file or directory
DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.11.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype fribidi
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=en_US.UTF-8
INFO: Converting filenames to UTF-8
INFO: dvdauthor creating table of contents
ERR: No .IFO files to process

It seems QDVDAuthor doesn't even try to load the file (I see no reference to the avi file in the error messages). And the documentation on the program's web site doesn't seem to cover this.
Am I doing something wrong ?
Edward

salmankhilji
20th March 2005, 01:15 AM
Sorry, but for this particular task Linux simply does not have a good solution available. I wasted several hours trying to do the same today. All the CLI crap available on Linux to do video processing is not worth it and pretty much everything out there is broken. qDVDAuthor and DVDStyler both suck.

Ended up using Nero for Windows to get the job done.

diablo93
20th March 2005, 03:30 AM
I actually just finished making a DVD with avidemux2 and dvdstyler (i didn't need a complex menu and dvdstyler is pretty simple, a lot of dependencies though). i just used this link http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers/262 to figure out how to use avidemux to convert the avi to mpeg. the only thing I changed was that I substituted DVD for (s)vcd where applicable. then when you drop the finished mpg's into your dvd author (DVDstyler or qDVDauthor) it should work just fine.