PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone insatlled Gnome 2.10 on FC3?

SlowJet
18th March 2005, 09:00 AM
I'm not waiting til june for something that s'a/b done yesterday. ;)

Unless there is a real reason not to install it other than the sound won't play. :D

SJ

imdeemvp
18th March 2005, 09:03 AM
Not me...and I would not recommend it too. It may cause the system not to be stable.

SlowJet
18th March 2005, 09:43 AM
Have you any facts about what would be unstable?

There are many updates available after the inital install.
Are you saying Gnome org is lying or FC is lying when they say they follow standards and are backwards compatable?

SJ

cscheng
18th March 2005, 03:52 PM
The Gnome that comes with Fedora Core has been modified by the FC developers, in order to function properly with the rest of the system. Therefore, it is not recommended to build the Gnome 2.10 yourself. This could result in less functionality and less stability. Use at your own risk.

fibster
18th March 2005, 05:13 PM
I would wait if I was you. I have ubuntu on a 2nd computer that I'm trying out. I really like the speed of ubuntu but gnome 2.10 is nothing to write home about, it's still buggy. Downloading programs don't show up until you log out and back in, programs that you install via apt-get don't show up in the menu, etc I'm waiting till it's mature before I put it on my core3 box which is excellant. As for the sound problems those usually come with an update on the kernel, either way just install the gnome mixer and alsa libs and you'll see on the gnome mixer that your sound is muted. Good Luck, by the way I installed open office 2.0 on my core 3 box and no problems actually quite impressed with it.

tb aka fibster

foolish
18th March 2005, 11:32 PM
Gnome 2.10 is a core element of Fedora Core. It's such a huge deal of the system that replacing it will lead to ickyness. GNOME needs some love to fully work integrated in a distribution, this work is beeing done by the Fedora developers and you'll see the results of it when Core 4 is done.

If you really, really want to try GNOME 2.10 right now, get a GNOME 2.10 live cd from the gnome website and boot it, it will let you test the new goodies without installing or damaging anything.

BAshworth
29th March 2005, 04:28 AM
For a personal anecdote, when Fedora Core 2 was getting ready to come out, Gnome 2.6 (or 2.4, I don't remember exactly) was the new up and coming thing. I installed it from Gnome's site, and it worked just fine.

However, when I tried to use either yum or apt to update the system after that, several packages were broken, and the system as a whole never ran good after updating the other software on the system.

In the end, I reinstalled the whole thing, and since then, I've never jumped the gun on installing either a desktop manager or kernel release before Fedora has created their own version for it. Not that it isn't fun to sweep up the pieces and try to glue them back together again, but I don't always have the time or patience for it. Sometimes it's better to actually use your computer, than to always be fixing it.

foobar
29th March 2005, 04:51 PM
I installed Gnome 2.10 to FC3 from http://www.nrpms.net and it seems to work mostly ok.

Shadow Skill
30th March 2005, 12:22 AM
I would follow Foolish's suggestion, if you decide to install via the rpms Foobar suggested do yourself a favor and delete the old Gnome directories in your home directory. I find that they screw up the UI and sometimes other things because they are not properly updated during the upgrade process. Just don't even think about doing it from source, not on an rpm distro anyway, even if you get it installed system nukeage chances are incredibly high.

wawalker
8th April 2005, 10:18 AM
I installed it, from www.nprms.net...I did it while I was working in KDE 3.3 environment....see my post "broken GNOME".

After a bit of work and help from members here, it's working great, and I got KDE 3.4 installed after the fact and I've had no problems with either environments.

My only advice would be to use a mirror as nprms seems to be really slow these days