PDA

View Full Version : Firefox / Thunderbird: unwanted drag & drops

NLS
17th March 2005, 05:36 PM
Hi there

Can I prevent unwanted drag & drops? It often happens to me that something stays sticking on the mouse cursor, although no mouse key is pressed and no object has been dragged. It's seems that Firefox is believing that I'm dragging something (for example a hyperlink, an image...). That's annoying in a browser game that I'm actually playing, because the next click will activate the "dragged" thing, messing up the frame set - after that you have to do a new login.

In Thunderbird the same problem is also appearing: almost always when I answered the "Do you want to compact folders to save memory" dialogue, something is sticking on my mouse cursor that I never had picked up.

Is this problem appearing only here, or am I not alone?

NLS :D

anandj
17th March 2005, 06:15 PM
Are you working on a Laptop? I have the similar issue with my laptop synaptic mousepad (on my FC3 installation). As I try to move the pointer around on the touchpad, firefox decides to interpret it as browser-back command and goes to the previous page. This would be the expected behaviour if the right click button was also pressed as I was moving the pointer. So something is causing firefox to act as if the right-click button is also pressed.

I assume I could fiddle around with Xorg.conf file and adjust the time settings for the synaptic driver. But I have been a bit too lazy to experiment.

xathrasmurphy
17th March 2005, 06:28 PM
Is this problem appearing only here, or am I not alone?

NLS :D

Same problem here. I ask here and was given this link

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27870&highlight=touchpad+back

by dickinsd

If it helps thank him and whoever's post fixes it. :)

Xahras Murphy

spiderhosts
17th March 2005, 06:29 PM
Hello,

I searched through the about:config page and did not find anything there. Seems that there is no way to disable it. Unless I am mistaken that is :)

Bechara Hitti

NLS
17th March 2005, 07:21 PM
Are you working on a Laptop? I have the similar issue with my laptop synaptic mousepad (on my FC3 installation). As I try to move the pointer around on the touchpad, firefox decides to interpret it as browser-back command and goes to the previous page.

Yes I know exactly that problem on my Acer laptop! This is also an interesting thing :)
But that seems almost to be a feature, not a bug: trying to reproduce this behavior I found out, that the lower part of the touch pad obviously seems to work in an other way than the upper part. If you do a left movement in the lower area, firefox will interpret it as a back command. If you move right, it will go forward. Seems to be a secret feature ;). Try to use only the upper part of the mouse pad for normal mouse movements in the browser window - probably you'll get the same results as me. Thats the reason I almost only use firefox with an usb mouse *g*

But the drag and drop problem appears on both, laptop and also desktop with a normal mouse.

Also another _annoying_ bug in new Firefox 1.0.1: if you have an input field in a form and fill in only numbers, then it behaves strange if you click in that field. Clicking right of the number should position the cursor at the end of the line, but it appears at the beginning. Strangely, this problem disappears as soon as there are _any_ letters in this input field. Selecting a part of the number for copying gets also hard because of the strange behaving. That also happens on both computers, you can try to reproduce it in the "Title:" oder "Search" input field here for example. Yery strange... and also annoying me, because my browser game has many input fields where you have to configure the quantity of ships in a fleet :rolleyes:

Greets
NLS

artur
17th March 2005, 07:40 PM
I don't know if you find this going back and forward behaviour annoying or not, I personally do, so if you want to disable it you can type about:config in Firefox address bar and change the following
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action to 0
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines to true
mousewheel.withnokey.action to 0
mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines to true
hth

NLS
17th March 2005, 07:47 PM
Thank you, I'll check it out

anandj
17th March 2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for pointing to the other thread. It fixed the problem on my machine. It was really driving me crazy. The 'feature' of going back by scrolling would have been useful had it been documented clearly.
Atleast I would have been more careful about using the touchpad.

Anyways, thanks for the pointers.