PDA

View Full Version : X problem

Man
13th March 2005, 09:08 PM
I had recently installed xfree86 4.4 and wanted to install the newest nvidia driver. I downloaded the driver and started it and it said I needed to stop the X server. In the readme it said consult your OS documentation to find out how to do so. I searched both the fedora documentation and the web and could not find a command to do so, so I ended process X. On doing so X tried to restart and had an error saying the mouse was not correct and I could choose my mouse manually, but that did not work. This put me into the command line. Since X wasn't running I installed the nvidia driver without errors. The instructions then said to edit the X config file in etc/X11. The only X config file here however was xorg.conf, when I had just installed xfree86. Since I did not know what else to do I edited xorg.conf according to the instructions for the driver which involved changing the video card driver from "nv" to "nvidia", and deleting load "glx" from the module section. After I made these changes I started X and it gave the error that it had failed to initialize core devices. Looking at the log, after it had used getconfig it said "New driver is "nv"", which probably means I did not edit the right config file. I am at a loss as for what to do at this point and any help is appreciated.

sibarbey
13th March 2005, 09:16 PM
To stop X and run the level 3 :

telinit 3

To go back to run level 5 and to start X again :

telinit 5

Not sure, but editing xorg.conf seems to be correct... Anyway this is the file I edited to make my nvidia drivers work.

Hope this is helpful !

Man
13th March 2005, 09:53 PM
Thx for the commands, they should be useful in the future. X is now working, after I resaved the xorg config file with the changes as the xfree86 config file.

Man
13th March 2005, 10:14 PM
while X now works, my desktop menus and icons are now gone and all that comes up is the terminal and and something called xsm. Any ideas as to how to reconfigure my desktop?