PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Newbie needs help please

Chimp
8th March 2005, 04:27 AM
Fedora runs Horribly slow on my computer I'm not sure whats causing it to run so bad, I've configured a dual-boot system with (the other OS being windows XP).

I partitioned my hard drive and allocated 20Gb for Fedora Core 3 with another 2Gb being allocated as Swap space for fedora on a seperate Partition.

I did a full install (like 6.3Gb) using the ext3 filesystem (is there a difference between ext2 and ext3 ?)

Can someone please Help me I must admit I've been a Windows person and have never tried using Linux until now, so if anyone has any suggestions can you please write out a step by step guide.

Thanks in advance !

System Specs
-----------------------------------------------
Intel P4 2.4Ghz
512 DDR400 RAM
120Gb HD
ATI Radeon 9600Pro Graphics Card

roolegion
8th March 2005, 01:51 PM
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html << That should help, but ignore the bit about Nvidia drivers.

Jman
9th March 2005, 06:59 AM
ext3 is ext2 + journaling, and is the default file system.

Your system specs look fine. Here is an older speed up guide, but the services advice still applies. You may be running many services in the background, slowing things down.

Do you get a lot of disk activity?

Chimp
7th April 2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the guides but I think I found what the problem was.

I checked out the system monitor and it seems that Fedora is not using any of the Swap space (2064 Mb) I allocated it.

The CPU monitor reports little to moderate CPU usage but the problem is that it gets maxed out every 10 seconds or so.

My RAM is always being used up alot (like 450 Mbs - Total RAM is 512Mb).

What I suspect is that for some reason or another because the Swap space is not being utilised data has to be moved in and out of the RAM, which would explain why computer kind of 'freezes' or pauses for a few seconds every 10 or so seconds.

Can anyone help suggest a possible fix or step-by-step method to enable the Swap space ?

Thanks in advance !

ChiMp