PDA

View Full Version : Video card problems in FC3

soebb02
2nd March 2005, 08:23 PM
I have a PowerBook Titanium 800Mhz. The computer has an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 video card. After installing FC3 I installed the Xautoconfig tools to start the X server and it worked although the resolutin was fairly basic (600x480 I think).

Now I have changed my /etc/X11/xorg.conf so I can run a "1280x854" resolution, but the screen starts flicking whenever I start the X server (startx). After the line "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500" in the xorg.conf file, I'v tried to add:

Option "UseFBDev" "True"

which made it better, but the screen is still useless. It acutally works 1 out of every 100 reboots, but the behaviour is quite random. Once the GUI stood perfectly on the screen, but after reboot wiht NO reconfiguration of the xorg.conf file the screen went back to being messed up. If I use "fbdev" and "Framebuffer driver (generic)" instead of "radeon" and "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500" respectively, it seems to be more reliable, but then I suppose I don't take advantage of my dedicated video card, which would be rather silly in the long run.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Kind regards,
Soren, Denmark

soebb02
4th March 2005, 01:06 PM
OK, so I solved the problem myself:

1. Install and run Xautoconfig (OK, I already did that..)

2. Run the command 'mv /etc/X11/XF86config /etc/X11/xorg.conf' (Overwrite the existing xorg.conf file with the file generated by Xautoconfig. That I didn't know)

Ta-daa problem solved.

LaKing
15th March 2005, 11:06 AM
A complete HOWTO, if you have similar problems ...

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18175