PDA

View Full Version : Can't Exit Xorg

Kenji Miyamoto
1st March 2005, 02:48 AM
I can't exit Xorg like in FreeBSD. I'm trying to modify xorg.conf to lower the refresh rate, because my monitor can't do 90.3 KHz at 1600x1200. Does anyone know how to exit Xorg?

awdac
1st March 2005, 03:19 AM
Put the first install disc in, reboot, and type 'linux rescue' at the prompt. It will automatically mount your filesystem under /mnt/sysimage. You can chroot and change the xorg.conf files that way or you can set your machine to boot to prompt without starting X by doing the following:
As root, edit your /etc/inittab file. Change
id:5:initdefault to
id:3:initdefault.
then you can change the files. When you want to start x, just type 'startx' as your regular user.

jdonz
1st March 2005, 03:27 AM
while X is running try pressing crtl+alt+backspace. it should terminate the x server for you. also try using crtl+alt+F2-F6. that will start a new console where you can edit/restart X.

bob
1st March 2005, 03:34 AM
Or, you can simply open a terminal and: 'su - '(that "-" is important) then, 'telinit 3'.

awdac
1st March 2005, 03:37 AM
while X is running try pressing crtl+alt+backspace. it should terminate the x server for you. also try using crtl+alt+F2-F6. that will start a new console where you can edit/restart X.
The problem with killing the x server that way in Fedora is that it automatically fires up the graphical login, so it restarts X, which if you're having problems just starts them all over again. ;)

does telinit 3 do the same thing bob?

bob
1st March 2005, 03:42 AM
No, not in my experience. To get to a command line once you've done 'telinit 3', you'd then 'ctrl - alt - F1'. Once modified, you could just 'startx' to get back.

Kenji Miyamoto
1st March 2005, 04:24 AM
The one that started up a console atuomatically worked perfectly, so I edited the refresh rates to what I had memorized from FreeBSD and it worked perfectly.