PDA

View Full Version : Fedora PPC install...

[MAC]jb
23rd February 2005, 10:24 PM
I installed successfully Fedora core 3 PPC. It doesn't want to boot.

I installed it with instructions from: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html

I downloaded disks, burned them and started to install.
I had to run installer by linux text command.
I chose Local CDrom option, everything was ok untill partitiong. I made 3 partitions /(root) /home and /swap but all in ext3 file system. I don't know how to make /swap in swap file system.
I configured Network, firewall and so on.

real problem begins when I break out into a shell.
That's what I written:
chroot /mnt/sysimage (enter)
nano /etc/inittab (enter)
I change is:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault
Ctrl+X (Exit)
Y for yes (changes)

parted /dev/hda print (almost always - error -> parted no such file or directory)

Then I run:
yabootconfig -r /dev/hda9 -b /dev/hda13 --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-* --initrd /boot/initrd-*

(that's with my hda configuration)

Error message:
yabootconfig no such file or directory or something, it doesn't work)

I tried rebooting, but it doesn't work..

Please help me..

krolaw
24th February 2005, 01:58 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, or have a better idea but....

You need the apple partitions that you deleted. Use an apple boot CD. Run disk utility/drive setup. Create a single partition filling the entire drive. Boot fedora, you'll note that there's actually more than one partion. Delete the last partition (which should be the biggest, almost the size of the drive), add the partions you need /, /home, swap etc and you should be ok. Worked for YDL anyway.

BTW, swap is not ext3 and does not have a mount point, but do what you've done above and you can turn the ext3 swap intended partion into a real swap partition (once you're booting) by using mkswap and editing your /etc/fstab file.

[MAC]jb
24th February 2005, 08:08 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, or have a better idea but....

You need the apple partitions that you deleted. Use an apple boot CD. Run disk utility/drive setup. Create a single partition filling the entire drive. Boot fedora, you'll note that there's actually more than one partion. Delete the last partition (which should be the biggest, almost the size of the drive), add the partions you need /, /home, swap etc and you should be ok. Worked for YDL anyway.

BTW, swap is not ext3 and does not have a mount point, but do what you've done above and you can turn the ext3 swap intended partion into a real swap partition (once you're booting) by using mkswap and editing your /etc/fstab file.

You mean that I have to format my whole drive, create one partition, then install linux and after that - try to run fedora?

Ok by me. I can do this.

[MAC]jb
24th February 2005, 11:48 PM
I didn't work. I formatted whole drive, installed Fedora and it still doesn't want to boot.

I tried with swap.. When I wrote 'swap' only without '/' it didn't work too. I seen an error message that you have to start mount point with '/'. There's no other option.

[MAC]jb
24th February 2005, 11:49 PM
It didn't work - sorry..

krolaw
25th February 2005, 01:07 PM
After you created a single partition using an apple boot cd (using say Drive Setup in OS9 or Disk Utility OSX), did you notice there was more than one real partition when you went to install Fedora? If so, leave the apple partitions alone, just remove the last and really large one. Then add '/' '/home' '/swap' AND '/boot'. Make boot 100MB. I'm wondering if the problem is along the lines that you need a /boot partition, just an idea.

As for swap. Just call it /swap for now. You can turn it into a real swap once you get the system booting.

salpula
25th February 2005, 11:26 PM
Partition currenty look like this:

1 0.000 0.031 Apple
5 0.031 1.031 hfs untitled boot
3 1.031 16323.125 ext3 ubuntu
2 16323.125 28104.781 ext3 Fedora
4 28104.781 28615.781 linux-swap swap swap

I installed osx first on 2 partitions. The partition labeled ubuntu originally held OSX, When i went to install fedora there was only the partition labelled apple and the one osx partition. I added the apple bootstrap first, ONLY 1mb in size. Then I added a 512mb swap partition. Then I added one 12 gb root partition labelled /.
YOU DO NOT NEED A /BOOT PARTITION. Just make sure your entries in yaboot.conf use /boot/vmlinuz-yadda.

ALSO anaconda it doesn't add the initrd line to yaboot.conf, check mine out its pretty solid and I have no troubles booting
/etc/Yaboot.conf:
#apple bootstrap
boot=/dev/hda5
#what devive does it boot
device=hd:
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=15
timeout=50
#default to osx, linux, or CD
defaultos=linux
#default linux entry to boot
default=FedoraCore3

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.1149_FC4
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.1149_FC4.img
label=FedoraCore3
#parition root lies on
root=/dev/hda2
#same thing but necessary
partition=2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.1127_FC4.dwmw2
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.1127_FC4.dwmw2.img
label=Fedora2610-1.1127
root=/dev/hda2
partition=2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.767_FC3.dwmw2
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.767_FC3.dwmw2.img
label=Fedora2610-1.767
root=/dev/hda2
partition=2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
label=FedoraStock
root=/dev/hda2
partition=2

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8.1-3-powerpc
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-powerpc
label=Ubuntu
root=/dev/hda3
partition=3
#enable open firmware
enableofboot
#enable cd boot option
enablecdboot

soebb02
2nd March 2005, 07:53 PM
I followed the installation instructions you are refering to carefully as well. I found that I didn't need to run the yabootconfig -r... line at all. I was still able to boot into FC3. Actually after I ran the code, I couldn't boot at all. Have you tried just to leave it, and reboot?

Kind regards
Soren, Denmark

[MAC]jb
13th March 2005, 01:53 AM
OK! I installed Fedora, Ubuntu and Yellow Dog. All of them works fine. I've done that because my Video configuration was wrong.. The answer was on the Ubuntu Forum site..

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-924.html

I followed the instructions and everything runs fine now..

BUT :) I don't know how and I can't Install new applications to these systems.. I tried .rpm on Fedora, YDL, .deb on Ubuntu.. I double-clicked and nothing.. I know that probably I should do more, do something in terminal..

I heard that Mandrake is the easiest system.. I tried installing it but it doesn't work.. Does anyone knows what can be wrong? I have GeForce 2 MX 32MB. This video card doesn't want to work with Mandrake.. Do you kno what do I have to do to make it running?

steward75
14th March 2005, 06:39 AM
I wanted to let everyone know that I got FC3 installed on my old school tangerine G3 iBook! Thing runs like a champ! I will admit it did take a little bit of tinkering though. I followed the guide at http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html and that served as a great start.
Like [mac]jb, I fell into the same trap of the whole not creating an apple boot strap partition because the way the paragraph was worded. TRUE, you do not have to install a seperate /boot partition but you need an "Apple Bootstrap" partition. When creating the apple bootstrap partition, if you use DiskDruid in text mode install, the default choice is ext3, scroll UP 2 times (ext2 then Apple Bootstrap). THEN continue with the install. SO, after the whole partitioning issue, then I had to add the whole yabootconfig issue. For some odd reason when I ran the config command for yaboot, it added a second "/" to my path line. Caused yaboot to kick back the loading of my vmlinuz file. SO I was able to RERUN the install boot CD with "linux rescue" command and managed to get me to a workable prompt, changed the line in the /etc/yaboot.conf file from the "//boot..." to "/boot..." and then loaded up like magical!
This was my installation experience. Then there was the tinkering part:
Okay, so 8 bit color depth with 640x480 resolution was the default for xorg...... ummm, I wasn't having it since I could get 24 colordepth with 800x600 on MacOS X. So I started fooling around with my xorg.conf file and found the framebuffer driver does not like my laptop. So I replaced that with the word "ati" in the device field and increased the color depth up to 16 and resolution up to 800x600. Thing is great.
Next project is to get the sound working, it currently is not activated. Did some searching, going to apply what seemed to work for other people. I'm not even attempting the APM until the next Kernel gets released
I'm still getting to the whole not using up2date and relying on yum for a package manager.

Still amazed at running linux on my PPC iBook tangerine laptop!

Hope this helps some people who try installing FC3 on other oldschool iBooks.