PDA

View Full Version : FC PPC DVD? Mac Mini crazy idea?

krolaw
21st February 2005, 11:28 AM
Is it likely that the PPC FC team will release a DVD to appease human laziness and a newly found desire to reduce waste?

Working on my powerbook in a room lit with an energy saver light bulb I was thinking that the mac mini with its max 80W power draw would make an excellent replacement server (mail/dns/web/atalk/smb) for my AMD 2000+ with a 400W PS. So, I'm wondering if there are any glitches with FC3PPC with the mac mini before I go out and buy one. However that's only half the problem. I want to rip out the 4 drives (900G) out of the AMD and put them into a multi-drive firewire case and connect it to the mini for file sharing. I plan to connect only the mini to my UPS. So if power goes out so do the file drives, but the mini has all the ups power for maintaining web and mail.

In my limited experience in fedora, when a drive goes bad any process that tries to read the drive hangs. Any process that doesn't continues on its merry way. So therefore, mail and web should continue when power is disconnected to the firewire drives. Only the sharing processes should hang right? Anybody?

Also, has anyone had experience connecting FW drives (with or without loopback) on FC3PPC?

Jman
22nd February 2005, 07:12 AM
Check out the PPC guide (http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html) if you have not already done so.

krolaw
22nd February 2005, 07:46 AM
I was impatient waiting for it to mention DVD iso or Mac mini, so posted here.

Cheers for the thought though.

msinanan
4th April 2005, 02:03 PM
I know this may be a little unrelated but, I recently bought a Mac Mini and wanted to upgrade the memory to run Fedora Core 4 in the future. I found a really good video on how to take apart and upgrade both RAM and hard drive

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/memory/
(Look for the quicktime installation videos on that page)

There is a video for different speeds if anyone is interested. Just thought it was useful for those going to use it for Linux. 256 MB of memory is not enough (in terms of speed), and you can buy memory for cheaper.

By the way.....when is fedora core 4 going to be finally released to be run on the mac, I am assuming from this discussion here that its the PPC version?

salpula
6th April 2005, 05:39 PM
I know this may be a little unrelated but, I recently bought a Mac Mini and wanted to upgrade the memory to run Fedora Core 4 in the future. I found a really good video on how to take apart and upgrade both RAM and hard drive

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/memory/
(Look for the quicktime installation videos on that page)

There is a video for different speeds if anyone is interested. Just thought it was useful for those going to use it for Linux. 256 MB of memory is not enough (in terms of speed), and you can buy memory for cheaper.

By the way.....when is fedora core 4 going to be finally released to be run on the mac, I am assuming from this discussion here that its the PPC version?
I believe the current schedule has FC4 being released on the summer, I assume by then PPC should be hammered out pretty well. Every day I download like 60 updates for FC4 from the development tree on my ibook. I am hoping to see leeps and bounds in PPC support for FC4T2