PDA

View Full Version : Pick your video player as long as it is ...

SlowJet
21st February 2005, 09:24 AM
http://news.com.com/1606-2-5423189.html?tag=linuxworld.vid

WTF? Their talkin' Linux. Their talkin' FC3, Red Hat. Their talkin'' but only Windows and Mac users can see theie pitch. lol

I don't like real player. I don't have Media player on my Linux. I don't own a Mac. :confused:

WTF?

SJ

imdeemvp
21st February 2005, 10:37 AM
You may not know but there is a realplayer for linux. (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21364) We also have mplayer that allows to play windoz media on the net.

SlowJet
21st February 2005, 06:37 PM
Hi imdeemvp, :)

No biiggie. This was supposed to go into chat but about every 20th click the FF schrolls one way and the mouse pointer jumps the other and I end up on the wrong link? :)

But thanks, as I see that the Linux Real Player is really a rewrite of Helix Player which is what I was trying to use.

Does this Real still do the malware and invasion stuff with this Linux version?

SJ

crackers
21st February 2005, 07:16 PM
There's a difference between Helix and Real - the Helix program(s) are open-source and thus do not contain codecs that can be considered proprietary. The close-source Real player (of which there is a Linux version) doesn't have the same restrictions.

rega451
21st February 2005, 07:36 PM
http://news.com.com/1606-2-5423189.html?tag=linuxworld.vid

I don't like real player. I don't have Media player on my Linux. I don't own a Mac. :confused:

SJ

Hi SlowJet

It's not so much liking or not liking real player for me. If I didn't have the Linux Real Player plug-in I wouldn't see any animated graphics from my ISP. You know, like all those really cool animated ads.....animated ADS?.....Hmmmm! Maybe I should uninstall real player after all. :D

SlowJet
21st February 2005, 08:17 PM
But if you that, rega451, you'll miss the next bouncing Mars rover on NASA TV. lol :)

Crackers!

Pretend that you are me reading your post. What?

:)

SJ

SlowJet
22nd February 2005, 02:28 AM
OK, I went for it. :)

I didn't have to do anything, just ran installer rpm from the real player link and it asked for the root password, did the install and put the player on the Gome Menu.

The preferrences is where the malware switches recide.
Click off embed in browser and cookies.

I watched the videos.
FC3 is just one honkin' piece of amazing software. All those gost writters that say do this or do that and then you try it and it does it all for you. I can't wait for FC5! :)
Now I'm going to play a Media Player file in wine coz no player plays all yet.

SJ

Woad_Warrior
22nd February 2005, 05:10 AM
SlowJet; mplayer will play damn near every video format in use (and some that no longer are) if you install the full codec pack available on the mplayer site.

crackers
22nd February 2005, 06:05 AM
Pretend that you are me reading your post. What?
"Codecs" are the pieces of a multimedia program that can read (or write) a specific media format. They're usually bundled with a multimedia program, as each program has a different "plug-in" architecture. Helix doesn't come with some of the codecs that might have legal or legally-grey restrictions (mp3, for example). Real, being a commercial product and not open-source) doesn't necessarily have that restriction, as Real the corporation can pay the licensing fees. Helix, being open-source, is basically "prohibited" from using proprietary formats. That doesn't stop some open-source projects from going ahead and doing it anyway - and they're "getting away with it" because they're too small a fish to fry.

The legal entanglements of all the proprietary vs. open-source is a real nightmare to navigate - this is just one small example. I'll bet when/if Linux gets above a 25% desktop adoption rate, all this crap will come raining down at that point.