PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Guru's

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 09:30 PM
Hey.... over the past months, I have looked at some of the replies to ppl's problems with Fedora.... It's funny, I see hundreds, if not thousands, of ideas of how to fix a problem, but with very little consistency. If Fedora is to be taken seriously as an O.S. things must change... Does anyone actually KNOW what to do, or is this just a guessing game...?

I am sorry to say that I have to use Windoze in order to use my computer.... Is Windoze a better O.S.? I hate Windoze with a passion, but with my experiences with Fedora, I must admit Windoze is not looking SO bad...

Hey guru's, little suggestion, come up with solutions that work.... if not the guru's, then the programmers....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THE CASE OF PROBLEMS....???????????

Thanks David

P.S. If you want to see the problems I am having, look under FedoraForum.org>Fedora Support>Hardware

Harryc
20th February 2005, 09:34 PM
I would have/looked at or helped with your problem, but with your attitude it's no wonder you are frustrated. People volunteer time here. Take a chill pill man.

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 09:38 PM
Is that an answer, does that help anyone..? This is exactly what I am talking about..... DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING, or are we doomed to fail...???

joe_0
20th February 2005, 09:48 PM
I think that was helpful - Harryc was suggesting how you could go about getting a better respone: change your attitude.

There are plenty of different ways to get alot of things done - the same applies to Windows. As Harryc has pointed out, everyone here volunteers their time to help others and (IMO) this forum works really well, a lot of people seem to get their problems sorted really quickly opposed to some of the other forums out there - all thanks to people devoting their time to help.

Besides, you don't seem to be helping anyone either!

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 09:58 PM
Hey, how about instead of all these attacks about my attitude, someone starts coming up with some answers..... attacks about my attitude aren't helping anything.....

"Besides, you don't seem to be helping anyone either".....
I answer the questions which I can answer..... it would be useless for me just to be spouting off on problems which I don't know how to help on, such as many ppl seem to do..... this does not help anyone... it just wastes ppl's time....

Zigzagcom
20th February 2005, 10:10 PM
wrightdavip,
I know how you feel, was in the same boat several months ago. But you cannot compare the Win OS
to *nix carte blanche. You do have to read and spend time absorbing information. I was posting as Zigzag then and left a similar comment last year in July. In that time Fedora Core 3 has made some great and wonderful improvements, and they are bound to get better. Take a breather and then come back to it. You do have to understand that hardware vendors are not neccessarily motivated to write drivers and related software for *nix distros, often the commercial aspect being the deciding factor, but that is slowly changing as well. I haven't read your posts, but I can sympathize with you.
Hang in there...get an old (well maybe not so old) box if you can and just play. If you wreck the install, reload and hack away. You should keep both OS's going, because understanding all things computer is fun. *nix just is 'more' fun.

thebigsam
20th February 2005, 10:18 PM
wrightdavip,
if u hate fedora so much, leave!

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 10:21 PM
*nix is 'more' fun, no doubt about that... just irritating when noone seems to have a resolution, especially since so many ppl seem to be having the same problems.... I have never had a problem with *nix in the past.... not really a newbie, but not a guru.... Thank you though, it is nice to hear from other ppl who have had problems..... It would be nicer to hear solutions though ;)

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 10:22 PM
wrightdavip,
if u hate fedora so much, leave!

Is that helpful.... is that clever...... comments like this just make me laugh.... hey, bigsam, come up with answers, not just stupid remarks....

hahahaha :D

thebigsam
20th February 2005, 10:25 PM
i did, notice ur post about ur boot time. altho it seems u ignored my comment

wrightdavip
20th February 2005, 10:26 PM
Hey look at the replies.... I don't ignore ppl, that just leads to stupidity....

thebigsam
20th February 2005, 10:56 PM
theres a change in attitude i like to see. Hope you found my reply to removing FC3, but really hope you dont remove it, linux is the only way lol.

Void Main
20th February 2005, 11:24 PM
No soup for you! Next!

crackers
20th February 2005, 11:43 PM
Please note that I have deleted certain replies to this thread. I strongly suggest that the participants all take some time to cool off.

Yes, Linux can be frustrating, but there can be many solutions to problems - or the problem does not lend itself to easy diagnosis without sufficient information. Also keep in mind that anyone participating here is doing it on their own time and at their own discretion. That means you may not get answers, you may not get answers in what you would consider a timely fashion, or nobody can help you.

Void Main
20th February 2005, 11:49 PM
You gotta be kidding me, you didn't like my humor? Sheez.

imdeemvp
21st February 2005, 12:11 AM
The frustation is mutual"sometimes." Just like in windows and mac you have problems with software, hardware, etc....same applies to fedora or linux. One thing I would like to see in linux is a general system so the people of hardware and software vendors will say this hardware and software will work in any linux platform. My advice to you is to do some MAJOR reading and LEARNING of the OS of your choice to fully understand it.

If you have problems with fedora go to mandrake and if you think you can swim far try slackware then decide on the OS of your choice. Windoz is plug and play (sometimes) but new comers to windoz are as frustrated as you are and you know whats the worse part of it? Having to pay for it.

rega451
21st February 2005, 12:20 AM
Hey.... over the past months, I have looked at some of the replies to ppl's problems with Fedora.... It's funny, I see hundreds, if not thousands, of ideas of how to fix a problem, but with very little consistency. If Fedora is to be taken seriously as an O.S. things must change... Does anyone actually KNOW what to do, or is this just a guessing game...?

I am sorry to say that I have to use Windoze in order to use my computer.... Is Windoze a better O.S.? I hate Windoze with a passion, but with my experiences with Fedora, I must admit Windoze is not looking SO bad...

Hey guru's, little suggestion, come up with solutions that work.... if not the guru's, then the programmers....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THE CASE OF PROBLEMS....???????????

Thanks David

P.S. If you want to see the problems I am having, look under FedoraForum.org>Fedora Support>Hardware

David

I have a saying hanging up in my lab that just about sums it up:

"When you're up to your a@# in alligators it is very difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was just to drain the swamp!"

There will always be a plethora of different and sometimes confusing 'fixes' to what usually started out as a simple problem. Every Linux installation is different. Even if you have the exact same hardware as someone else you will have different applications installed that interact and can either work great or cause problems. There is no 'one answer fits all' cure for this interaction. This means you will get a lot of diverse advice from a lot of different sources.

This is what makes Linux so good. You don't have to do the 'Microsoft March' or deal with the Gatesian philosophy of "We at M$ know what you need better than you do, so just sit back, install and shut-up. WE will control your computer". Linux is more like Burger King...."You CAN have it YOUR way." The price you pay is just a little extra attention to detail.

Most of the folks that post are giving advice that worked for them on their install. Some posts reference the RTFM approach and still others are just plain educated guesses. Then there is the stubborn hardware that just won't work right no matter what you do (trust me on this one). As you get more into it you may even find yourself thinking "That person posting doesn't know what they're talking about, that will never work!" You gotta' check yourself on that thought, chances are it worked for them at least. One persons 'Bull' may be another persons answer. So try not to be too quick to judge.

Try to keep in mind this as well. These posts are coming from all over the world, not just your particular locale. Sometimes you have to 'think international' when you read responses to your problem. They may or may not be worded in a format that you are familiar with.

Another type of post you may notice is the person I like to think of as 'The PANIC Poster'. These are the folks who have a problem, commence hacking away at their scripts and operating system files, etc. and THEN ask for help. Guess what, from snowflake to avalanche? Do you get the point here? Many problems can be corrected simply by careful initial damage assessment and good input to the forum concerning your hardware, problem symptoms, cause if known, etc.. My advice is, unless you are 100% sure of what to do, don't panic, and don't touch anything until you ask! This will also help to target the problem and keep the advice focused.

Sometimes even 'Official' looking fixes may not be the answer. A good example is one of the fixes posted on the 'Unofficial Fedora FAQ' site concerning a sound problem fix in the newer FC3 kernels. This fix assumes everyone has the same mixer settings and even states this fix WILL correct the sound problem. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same mixer controls, hence, no, it won't fix my problem, hence sound is still 'broke'. Any of you 'gurus' out there know which one I'm talking about? ;)

It is up to you to decide what advice helps you in your particular situation and what doesn't and filter it accordingly. No one here was sitting at your computer when you installed Fedora and your applications. No one here knows the little 'quirks' your particular system has....No one....Except you. We can only respond what we have experience with, have researched info on, or even just think might work based on what you tell us. It's up to you to filter the 'feldercarb'. :D

Remember too, all this extra advice you do not need may very well help someone else solve a similar problem.

Don't forget to either look for or file a bug report on your problem. You will find you probably aren't the only one in your particular situation.

Last....If you really get frustrated you can alway stare at your install cd's and in a very mean tone say "Don't forget...I brought you into this computer....I can take you out!!! :mad:

---END OF DISSERTATION---

bob
21st February 2005, 01:12 AM
Guys and Gals, the purpose of a forum like this is to discuss problems and ideas and to try and reach some solutions. Few of us are professionals or 'experts', most are just users like yourselves who might have some ideas that could help out a fellow user in trouble. No guarantees and you get what you pay for :D .