PDA

View Full Version : install Mplayer

svenkatesan
20th February 2005, 04:17 AM
HI
When I try to install mplayer on FD3,the following error pops up.Also downloded libmp3lame.so.0 but can"t install.(user machbuild doesnot exist)
Please ref the pic attached.
Thanks in advance.
[IMG]

Woad_Warrior
20th February 2005, 07:26 AM
have you tried to install the regular rpm packages? you're also missing the packages for rpm that'll allow you to build from a source rpm.

svenkatesan
20th February 2005, 03:47 PM
when I tried install with rpm package
error pops out and say lot of lib packages not found.
pl. see the attachment
thanks for the help
[IMG]

jim
20th February 2005, 04:06 PM
do you have apt? if not, get it from freshrpms.net

install apt with rpm -Uvh aptXXXXXXXX.rpm

then update apt with

apt-get update

next install mplayer

apt-get install mplayer

trying to install applications with a **** load of lib files dependencies can drive you nuts as you are experiencing this. Make life easier for yourself by installing a packaging tool that will get all of the libs, dependencies for you.

Woad_Warrior
20th February 2005, 05:05 PM
you will need to install all the missing libs before you'll get any of the video players to function.
if you have apt or yum, installing mplayer using either should resolve your dependency issues.

Azathoth
22nd February 2005, 03:29 AM
I've installed mplayer but it won't play anything when I try to open a file from within mplayer gui executed by clicking on it in the Applicatiions/Sound & Video menu (It says: Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device), but oddly enough it will play some media files if I right click on a file name in a folder and select "open with mplayer". Any ideas what the problem is?

I'm using Fedora Core 3 64 bit in case that makes a diff & I installed mplayer using yum and it appears to have installed both the i386 and x86_64 versions:
mplayer.i386 0:1.0-0.14.pre6a.1.fc3.rf
mplayer.x86_64 0:1.0-0.14.pre6a.1.fc3.rf

I downloaded the essential codecs pack from the mplayer website but I'm not entirely sure I've extracted them to the right place and/or mplayer knows to be using them.

Also Mplayer will not play a dvd, when I try it says: Can't open VMG info

Can Anyone help me with these problems? Much thanks in advance.

Woad_Warrior
22nd February 2005, 05:22 AM
1st off, i'd uninstall the i386 version. next, try selecting a different video out in the preferences menu. as far as the codecs go, there are 2 or 3 places it will look for the codecs. as long as they are in at least one of the default locations, it should find them. (mine are located in : /usr/local/lib/codecs) not sure about your dvd problem though.

Azathoth
22nd February 2005, 08:02 AM
I put my codecs in /usr/lib/win32 on advice from someone in another forum who also said you have to have the codecs installed before you install mplayer which if that's the case I wish it would have said that somewhere near the codec download links on the mplayer site :P

Anyway I think it worked because its playing a lot more file types now after I reinstalled and tried some diff settings in the preferences menu like you suggested. The xv driver seems to work pretty good.

I figured out why it wasn't playing dvds so nevermind about that.
Fedora set up my dvd drives by default when it installed and they accessed regular data off cds and dvds fine so I thought they were mounted ok. I was looking at how they were set up and it had them set up as /media/cdrecorder and /media/cdrom... I set a normal mount point for one as /mnt/dvd and now it plays dvds great :) Only thing I'm wondering is if my doing that might confuse fedora when I go to write a disc now?

foolish
22nd February 2005, 09:26 AM
You'll need to read www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware on how to install software in Fedora.

Once you've copied the yum.conf and set it up, do:

yum install mplayer

topa
22nd February 2005, 09:39 AM
Try smart package manager to install it. When you select mplayer it will automatically select all the missing and/or required libs too. It's also easy to uninstall things.
At the next link you can find out more about it:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31924&highlight=smart+gui
Scroll down to RAE.

greetz
tony

wapgeek
22nd February 2005, 11:39 AM
use synaptic(apt) then choose all packages of mplayer and install it. it should run

Clunixchit
22nd February 2005, 12:51 PM
HI
When I try to install mplayer on FD3,the following error pops up.Also downloded libmp3lame.so.0 but can"t install.(user machbuild doesnot exist)
[IMG]

This is because you are trying to install with lame-XXXXX.src.rpm
search another lame-3xxxxx.rpm with the src

Well here is a very good tutorial: http://ghaefb.fedorausers.org/howto01.html
if some additional links if some libs :
1. libpng-1.2.8-1.fc3.i386
2. libpng-devel-1.2.8-1.fc3.i386
are missing check out :
http://download.stmc.edu.hk/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libpng and
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libpng-devel

This is my:
$ rpm -qa | grep libpng
libpng10-1.0.16-1
libpng10-devel-1.0.16-1
libpng-devel-1.2.8-1.fc3
libpng-1.2.8-1.fc3

svenkatesan
23rd February 2005, 03:00 PM
Hi All
After gone thro the replies,Iam able to install without error,after installing lame-lips......
But,,,,,No way to open it.
Either Thro command nor from programme.
Any otherway????
Thanks

Woad_Warrior
23rd February 2005, 09:59 PM
if you didn't install the gui, in a shell, type mplayer filename
example code:
mplayer Reign_of_Fire.avi
with the gui installed you can type gmplayer in a shell, then navigate to a file to play or click on the dvd button to play a dvd, vcd, etc....
or go through your menu to sound & video and select mplayer from there
or alt + F2 and type gmplayer

svenkatesan
24th February 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi Woad Warrier
I hope I didn't installed GUI,Moreover when I type gmplayer,it says command not found.
Whe I press F2+alt----Mplayer is not listed.I doubt has it installed?How to check?
Pl. help.
Thanks

commander129
24th February 2005, 08:55 PM
Here is a very good mplayer guide:

Klick here :) (http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mplayer-fedora.shtml)

At first I tried myself to install mplayer by rpm...but it failed

the way discribed in the guide works fine for me...

Woad_Warrior
24th February 2005, 09:39 PM
svenkatesan;
since you didn't install the gui, you have to run mplayer from a terminal.
example code:
mplayer Reign_of_Fire.avi
the mplayer executable should be located in /usr/local/bin (if it was properly installed)

Lugh
25th February 2005, 09:06 PM
I have tried several of the described methods of installing mplayer. Maybe idiots like me shouldn't use Linux!

Clunixchit
25th February 2005, 09:32 PM
try http://spaces.msn.com/members/chitlesh/
2 possible solutions

Lugh
25th February 2005, 09:38 PM
I managed to get yum.conf file changed, by logging in a 'root' as instructed earlier, and got yum to install mplayer. mplayer managed to play an embedded video from the net. When I switched to a user, mplayer gives the error, "Error eopeninginitializing the selected video_out (-vo) device." This happens with both embedded video and dvd.

svenkatesan
26th February 2005, 07:25 AM
Hi WOrd warroior
/usr/local/bin is empty.
Iam still finding way to install.
See the attached snap shot.,"recompile mplayer with --disable-runtime-cpu deduction.
How to do this?
Thanks in advance,

svenkatesan
26th February 2005, 07:35 AM
Hi Commander129
Thanks for the link.
It gives a great confidence but ultimately ---no success.
See my snapshot I attachechd in my current posting.
Anyway thanks for ur guidence.

foolish
26th February 2005, 11:41 AM
Don't compile software! Leave the building of software to the packagers and just install the packages.

Read www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware and use the yum.conf provided there.

yum install mplayer

And that's it, you get a working mplayer, built by people who know what they're doing.

commander129
26th February 2005, 01:18 PM
ok

i did everything like in the instructions.
I think that you dont need to configre 2-times (3.3.2. Configuring (Again))

-> Configure it only 1 time with ./configure --enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-menu

If you have done everything, start mplayers gui: /usr/local/bin/gmplayer
In my case, mplayer creates after a system restart an icon in Applications/Audio & Video

veritas
26th February 2005, 04:35 PM
Some people need to accept that the mplayer rpm's don't work for everyone. I don't know why they don't, but they don't. They didn't work for me after repeated attempts.

My only solution was to installthese rpms (http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/) for Xine. These rpms also include the codecs and I seem to be able to play just about all videos in embedded mode. I note, again, that some quicktime formats now seem to use activex and I can't play those. You'll note that those are the ones that want you to click from within the viewing area to start a stream.

I think it would be an excellent use of developers' time to figure out why various mediaplayer rpms work on some but not other systems. Maybe this is an impossible question to answer with all the variety of hardware out there, but anything to make this easier for people will make fc3 more appealing.

svenkatesan
28th February 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi All
At last I am able to get the player seen on my desk top but it can't play vcd from cdrom.It says seek failed.
I can able to browse my vcd and able to add the .dat file but can't play.
Any suggestion?
Moreover its asking me to add "echo 1024" in /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq".Its no way allowing me to edit from both root as well as user.Always say could not save.I tried chmod 777,chmode -R u=rwx but no avail.Please help.
The shortcut at desktop always bring nothing,i need to start from terminal.
Do i need any codec to play .dat file?
see theb attach.
thanks

DoorGunner
2nd March 2005, 04:28 AM
I couldnt use yum either....but i was successful installing mplayer useing synaptic
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html
Just follow the instructions and read into what is being said and you should have no problems.....
Its a lengthy process but well laid out and easy to understand. Then you will also be able to run yum alternative...

Evert
8th March 2005, 11:05 PM
To install mplayer, read also this:

http://www.fedora-nieuws.nl/document/mplayer.html

Evert