PDA

View Full Version : Are You An ATI Driver Release Beta Tester Like Me And The Rest of The World?

t3gah
14th February 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm up to my thrid install of Fedora Core 3 on my system. I finally got the control panel to show up.

I tried to update the driver using the livna rpm's and I ran fglrxconfig which created the XF86Config-4 file. The menu also got a new addition like I said....

Applications > System Settings > More System Settings > ATI-fglrx Display Settings

The mesa3d OpenGL info still showed up in the ATI-fglrx Display Settings control applet which I've read elsewhere as a signal that the update didn't work. Sure enough the frame rates and all of my games are crawling and glxgears, the 3D telltale has frame rates no more than 300FPS. All the games played great until I updated again. My resolution is 1024x768. Games full screen or windowed slug along at the same rate now.

Snapshots of my desktop and ATI control panel.....

http://www.geocities.com/t3gah/images/ati_w_mesa3d_screenshot.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/t3gah/images/Screenshot.png

The new rpm from livna showed my ATI 9200 128MB DDR 8x AGP as an ATI 9200LE which the previous rpm's did not. I wonder if that will be a new issue for all of us Linux users to beta test for ATI until they get it right for everyone. If that's at all possible during this century.

So, are you a real live beta tester unknowingly for ATI and various rpm packagers? (like me! :( )

I wish someone would write up a real how-to complete with screenshots, etc. for the extreme newbie to walk through

jimispier
14th February 2005, 08:20 PM
Mine seems to be reporting ok.. I still can't play the Doom3 demo.. Oh well.. its a free os and its pretty easy to use.. Who am I to complain.

t3gah
14th February 2005, 08:33 PM
Mine seems to be reporting ok.. I still can't play the Doom3 demo.. Oh well.. its a free os and its pretty easy to use.. Who am I to complain.I just noticed something between your control panel and mine. For some reason unknown to me, the new ATI driver from livna has my 8x AGP card listed as a PCI adapter! :eek:

And yes it sort of "free". We pay through the nose to get updates over the Internet more than other people do.

And as a note, Cube locked up my screen when I tried to run it.

My kernel wouldn't update correctly because the updater rpm couldn't find vmlinuz 2.6.10, which was not possible since my kernel is.....

[root@localhost ~]# uname -r
2.6.9-1.667

which then brings me to the packager beta tester label we all have, Linux and *BSD users.

What I want to end is me being a how-to beta tester. I want the real install info!!