PDA

View Full Version : Eina - finally a good GTK2 music player

Myra
11th February 2005, 06:11 PM
Check out this new music player:

http://bolgo.cent.uji.es/proyectos/eina

It is based upon the XMMS/Winamp interface, but uses GTK2. It's still fairly new and crashes too often, but IMHO it's the best XMMS replacement for the future. It uses GTK2 widgets unlike Beep Media Player and has a far smaller footprint than Muine.

ktaylor
2nd March 2005, 06:18 AM
Eina doesn't look that bad. I like the interface much more than RhythmBox, which, let's face it, is nothing more than a GTK rip-off of iTunes. It'll be interesting to see how this develops. :)

imdeemvp
2nd March 2005, 08:51 AM
It looks like rhythmbox to me :D

ghaefb
2nd March 2005, 08:58 AM
So what's wrong with Beep-media-player ?
It's xmms based and gtk2 :)

www.sosdg.org/~larne/w/BMP_Homepage

crackers
3rd March 2005, 05:22 AM
Because GTK is ugly? :D

(Just a friendly jab... I am not trying to start a flame-war!)

Shadow Skill
3rd March 2005, 05:51 AM
LOL careful Crackers :) I happen to think BMP is nice at least I can read all of the menus without straining my eyes unlike XMMS.

crackers
4th March 2005, 05:16 AM
Well, until I switched to my brand-new 19" TFT monitor, I would agree with you about the fonts in XMMS. Not having any problems now, thankyewverymuch. :D

ghaefb
4th March 2005, 09:03 AM
Because GTK is ugly? :D

(Just a friendly jab... I am not trying to start a flame-war!)
GTK ugly :D
you got to be kidding me....
So QT is nice ?
(still not flaming.... :rolleyes: )

crackers
5th March 2005, 04:34 AM
Touche'! Of course, I'd choose either one over the Fischer-Price WinXP stuff... :D

Shadow Skill
6th March 2005, 09:43 AM
LOL I have a 17inch lcd and XMMS is still damn near unreadable and I always have my monitor set to max native resolution of 1280x1024. I don't know what is with KDE/qt themes though, quite frankly its like looking at an ugly version of Windows XP.

Myra
11th March 2005, 04:23 PM
Anyone know where to find rpms? <--- 2 lazy 2 compile

Woad_Warrior
11th March 2005, 10:51 PM
Myra, in my sig, i have a link to another post of mine that's full of links various usefull linux sites. including sites to find rpms.

sej7278
12th March 2005, 12:23 AM
xmms2 is a fork (rewrite?) of xmms that uses gtk2.

why does xmms still use gtk1?

Shadow Skill
12th March 2005, 11:26 PM
Because the developers are completely behind the times and refuse to update. I think its almost a religion for them to have a stagnant, under featured player that uses a gtk library that seems to have the most disgusting menus ever regardless of what program it is. I've been playing around with the latest version of Amarok and I must say its definetly coming closer and closer to the power of Foobar2k/winamp. It even manages to accomplish this while offering an Itunes type library without falling into the trap of jukebox software [Namely not offering not near enough control possibilities.] all Amarok really needs to become the king of audio players on Linux is just some relatively minor useability adjustments, maybe some free form skins like Winamp 5, more complete control over the program via global hotkeys [I can control virtually every part of winamp or foobar 2k without ever having to open the main window, I would like to see this functionality replicated with Amarok which is already off to a good start mind you.] and probably the most important thing the removal of Amarok's dependency on the KDE base libraries.