PDA

View Full Version : Finding installed software...

penguinguy
9th February 2005, 04:58 AM
Ok, I'll use xmms as an example. I can open xmms through a terminal, but I'm not sure exactly what directory it's installed to. Is there an easy way to find out where it is? How do I create a "shortcut" to the xmms executable? Can I edit my applications menu so it's on there? Is there a way to delete items from my Applications menu? :))

greatscot
9th February 2005, 05:06 AM
Ok, I'll use xmms as an example. I can open xmms through a terminal, but I'm not sure exactly what directory it's installed to. Is there an easy way to find out where it is? How do I create a "shortcut" to the xmms executable? Can I edit my applications menu so it's on there? Is there a way to delete items from my Applications menu?
You can find out if xmms is installed by doing:
rpm -qa | grep xmms
You can find out where xmms is by doing:
which xmms
You can locate all of the xmms files by doing:
locate xmms , but you should do
updatedb first to make sure the slocate database is up to date.

You can edit the menu items in KDE by doing
kmenuedit. I am not sure how to do this in gnome.

Jman
9th February 2005, 07:10 AM
You can right click the desktop and create launchers. Putting them on the menu in Gnome seems to require editing .desktop files (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#editmenus).

Maybe kmenuedit affects Gnome too, they're supposedly compatible?

crackers
10th February 2005, 04:15 AM
Well, the .desktop files are compatible. I don't think this version of Gnome has completely swapped out their user menu system yet, though (if they had, editing the menu in KDE would show the same changes in Gnome). I don't know if they would share the same Desktop directory, though, because I moved my KDE Desktop to a hidden file a couple of years ago...