PDA

View Full Version : Bootloader (Grub)

MacZilla
24th January 2005, 03:19 PM
Hello,

I'm no complete noob but I'm still green behind the ears so, don't shoot me if this question sounds easy.
I've installed fedora Core 3 on my laptop (Acer Travelmate 2502) and all was well. The 'other' was the default startup system. But last weekend I did a 'huge' update of all the programs (he told me he had 132 new things), including the kernel. So he updated the bootloader list to add the new kernel version (the 2.10 if I'm correct). But now he chooses this system as the default, and I didn't want this.
I've looked everywere in the root system apps, nothing to find about the loader. Now I've discovered that the only way to edit the bootloader is to press 'c' when he's in charge. I've found the command 'root', even applied it (succesfully) but he still prefers fedora.

Does anyone have a suggestion??

Thx
MacZilla

adolf
24th January 2005, 03:39 PM
Grub configuration file is in
/boot/grub/grub.conf

There near top of file you can see the option:
default=X

where X is some number. This number is number of kernel image to load as default counting from 0 in order they appear in this very file (grub.conf). Changing it will set up other image as default.

If during update entry for older image was removed you will need to see what kernel files you have in /boot folder and edit grub.conf as needed (for exaple by coping image section that is there and changing image name to the old one you want to use).

Hope that helps.

bob
24th January 2005, 04:15 PM
Mac, Adolf is exactly right. A couple of pointers though. You can edit your grub.conf by typing (as su):
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
which will open an editor. It's a good practice to rename and save your old grub.conf first in case you need to go back to it. It's also a good practice to leave at least one old kernel entry to boot to in case you have problems with a new kernel. Might want to change the 'other' entry name to, say, "windows xp" while you're at it and you might want to increase the default time to make a selection from '5' to maybe '7'. Then, as Adolf says, you count down the list of entries, starting at '0' and select which one you want as a default; save your work and exit both gedit and 'su' - reboot and test!

MacZilla
24th January 2005, 04:26 PM
Jup Adolf, that was exactly what I needed.

Justol, thx for the tips. I had the idea myself of reordering the list, I didn't have the intention of deleting the older kernel choises. (By the time I read your msg, I already had edited it :) )

Winblows is now the first on the list and the default boot.
(Although the first time I rebooted, I forgot to count from ZERO *blush*)

Thank you both for the quick reply.
MacZilla