PDA

View Full Version : Azureus and emule

raghavendra
22nd January 2005, 07:17 AM
Hi
I am a beginner in Linux and have installed Fedore Core 3. I download azureus client for GTK and ran it using ./azureus but it is showing me errors related to JRE and azureus gets terminated. So i tried installing JRE but it showed the version is already present.
So please help me to run Azureus in Linux.
Also i was using emule in windows........now in linux i download amule and tried installing it but it is not installing since it is showing openssl packages missing......I tried installing openssl packages but it showed a newer version was already present.....Wat do I do now?

it would be of great help if you would help me out............ :)

garnertr
22nd January 2005, 08:30 AM
Greetings,

MAKE SURE you read the FAQ for AZUREUS, b/c this concept is WAY DIFFERENT than what you are used to under e-mule. Meaning that if you want to share you'll need to UPLOAD TORRENTS to a site (and/or host your own).

Also, once you get Azureus up/running, remember that the only way to "share" your files is to upload the torrent.

The gist of the installation goes:

(copied from the homepage):

1) Install JRE from here.

2) Extract latest linux package (choice of GTK or Motif) from here

To extract the program files from the package, type
tar xvjf Azureus_x.x.x.x_linux...tar.bz2 where Azureus_x.x.x.x_linux...tar.bz2 is the name of the downloaded package.

3) Change to the azureus directory and run ./azureus to start

cd azureus
./azureus

----

Make sure that you scan google for tips and tricks, but remember that "bittorrent" is "different" then what you are used to w/ e-mule... :0 But once its up/running, its great! :)

Kocch
22nd January 2005, 10:39 AM
Azureus:
open ./azureus with any text editor, change the path "JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR" to where your JRE installed.
For my case, with latest JRE 1.5, the line should be changed like this:

JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/"

For installing emule or other package dependency problems, it's better to install with package managers.
"yum" is FC3 built-in package manager but I don't like it personally.
I use "apt-get": ftp://apt.nc.hcc.edu.tw/pub/apt/fedora/linux/3/i386/RPMS.extra/apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc3.hcc.i386.rpm
once installed, run "apt-get update" with root to update the package database.
Then, just run "apt-get install amule" and wait for the auto installation, once completed you'll see an amule icon in your gnome menu ;)

some more tips:
run "apt-get install synaptic" to install the GUI version of apt-get, friendly presentation, you will know what's installed easily, and search for new package without problem, and forget the pain of package dependency :)

F for Fragging
22nd January 2005, 04:20 PM
It seems that you are not using yum/apt, but that you tried downloading the aMule rpm?

My advice: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html#Apt

Read this fantastic FAQ completely. Follow the instructions there on how to install Apt and Synaptic, then simply install aMule with Synaptic. Very easy, if use Synaptic.

Concerning Azureus, that's also in the FAQ there. Good luck.

Neoh
22nd January 2005, 04:27 PM
I've followed the tutorial above and did install everything really smoothly. My machine runs like a charm.

ps: It's my first linux install and I must say I'm really amazed by what's available and how easy it is to play with the conf files and all the help avaiible without the website asking you to pay to see what's on it like a lot of windows related pro forums.

garnertr
22nd January 2005, 08:03 PM
congratulations on your installation. I too am a newbie and I must say that once I used "YUM" for the first time, I was 100% amazed at how I was able to install, update and then remove.

Of course, pat yourself on the back and give yourself a look at your old windows system and tell yourself that you have did this yourself, people helped you out (w/out bother) and you have a ready to run program w/ the knowledge to install, update and now remove.

Enjoy the day and your new found freedom! :)

raghavendra
23rd January 2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the answers, I am sure going to try out and let you know. Now i can easily say bye bye to windows :)

the_profiler
23rd January 2005, 07:45 AM
better to elaborate specifically the error encountered on installing azureus...

raghavendra
25th January 2005, 10:12 AM
Azureus:
open ./azureus with any text editor, change the path "JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR" to where your JRE installed.
For my case, with latest JRE 1.5, the line should be changed like this:

JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/"

For installing emule or other package dependency problems, it's better to install with package managers.
"yum" is FC3 built-in package manager but I don't like it personally.
I use "apt-get": ftp://apt.nc.hcc.edu.tw/pub/apt/fedora/linux/3/i386/RPMS.extra/apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc3.hcc.i386.rpm
once installed, run "apt-get update" with root to update the package database.
Then, just run "apt-get install amule" and wait for the auto installation, once completed you'll see an amule icon in your gnome menu ;)

some more tips:
run "apt-get install synaptic" to install the GUI version of apt-get, friendly presentation, you will know what's installed easily, and search for new package without problem, and forget the pain of package dependency :)

Thanks for your support
Now i have also become a fan of apt-get :) its really great as you told, now i am using it to upgrade many packages...............amule is working fine.................

PJam26
1st February 2005, 01:05 AM
hi, i too am trying to figure out linux....i installed jre1.5.0_01 and then azureus. i cant seem to get it to work, i went to a terminal and switched to the folder it was in and typed ./azureus and this is what it said:
Starting Azureus...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
Suitable java version found [java = 1.4.2]
Configuring environment...
Loading Azureus:
java -Xms16m -Xmx128m -cp "/home/pjam26/azureus/Azureus2.jar:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt.jar:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt-mozilla.jar:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt-pi.jar"-Djava.library.path="/home/pjam26/azureus" -Dazureus.install.path="/home/pjam26/azureus" org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main ''
Warning: -Xms16m not understood. Ignoring.
Warning: -Xmx128m not understood. Ignoring.
java.nio.charset.UnsupportedCharsetException
at java.nio.charset.Charset.forName(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.BEncoder.BEncoder() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.BEncoder.encode(java. util.Map) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.FileUtil.writeResilie ntConfigFile(java.lang.String, java.util.Map) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.save(java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.save() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.COConfigurationMana ger.save() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEDiagnostics.startup () (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEDiagnostics.getLogg er(java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.Debug.<clinit>() (Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.BEncoder.encode(java. util.Map) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.FileUtil.writeResilie ntConfigFile(java.lang.String, java.util.Map) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.save(java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.save() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.COConfigurationMana ger.save() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationC hecker.checkConfiguration() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.initialise() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.getInstance() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.COConfigurationMana ger.initialise() (Unknown Source)
at com.aelitis.azureus.core.impl.AzureusCoreImpl.Azur eusCoreImpl() (Unknown Source)
at com.aelitis.azureus.core.impl.AzureusCoreImpl.crea te() (Unknown Source)
at com.aelitis.azureus.core.AzureusCoreFactory.create () (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.Main(java.lang.Strin g[]) (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.main(java.lang.Strin g[]) (Unknown Source)
DEBUG::Mon Jan 31 18:59:29 GMT-05:00 2005
java.nio.charset.UnsupportedCharsetException
at java.nio.charset.Charset.forName(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationC hecker.checkConfiguration() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.initialise() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationM anager.getInstance() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.COConfigurationMana ger.initialise() (Unknown Source)
at com.aelitis.azureus.core.impl.AzureusCoreImpl.Azur eusCoreImpl() (Unknown Source)

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: while resolving class: org.gudy.azureus2.core3.security.impl.SESecurityMa nagerImpl
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Cla ss) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.security.SESecurityManager .initialise() (Unknown Source)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.config.impl.ConfigurationC hecker.setSystemProperties() (Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory not found in [file:/home/pjam26/azureus/Azureus2.jar, file:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt.jar, file:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt-mozilla.jar, file:/home/pjam26/azureus/swt-pi.jar, file:/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar, file:./, core:/]
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String ) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at gnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.findClass(java.lang. String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_FindClass(_Jv_Utf8Const, java.lang.ClassLoader) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean, java.lang.ClassLoader)(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.verify_instructions_0() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_VerifyMethod(_Jv_InterpMethod) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_PrepareClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at _Jv_WaitForState(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.linkClass0(java.lang.Class ) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Cla ss) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
...12 more
Azureus TERMINATED.
could someone please help me out......thank you

PJam26
1st February 2005, 01:35 AM
nevermind i figured it out....