PDA

View Full Version : Replacing SBS 2000

ourskool
9th June 2004, 08:57 AM
A non-profit organization I am working with has asked me to upgrade their Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 to SBS 2003. However, I would like to convince them to move to Fedora instead since they are on such a limited budget.

All they use their current server for now is web server, email server and file server. They have only 6 or so people that are on the office staff.

Does anyone have any real life experience in doing this type of migration? Any suggestions or comments on whether this seems like a good idea?

jimbo
9th June 2004, 12:34 PM
I have done NT and Win2k migrations and have had great success.

Apache, Sendmail/Cyrus IMAP and Samba work great as replacements for the services SBS provides. If they are truly using the colaboration elements (shared calendars, contact lists etc) of the paired down version of Exchange that comes with SBS then you will need to look to projects like OpenGroupware.org for similar functionality.

You might want to include Hylafax for fax serving and use the Fax distribution script to automatically email the incoming faxes to a an email distribution list. This is great for small businesses with folks that might work out of the office.

The big question here is why are they asking to upgrade to the latest version of SBS? Is there some feature that the need that the previous version does not supply? If so then you should investigate what functionality they are looking for and what application would make a suitable replacement on the FC2 side of things.

Good luck!

WATSON
12th June 2004, 11:52 AM
The key sellers in moving from SBS 2000 to 2003 are really Sharepoint and Exchange 2003. I don't use Sharepoint myself, but can see clear benefits and as far as Exchange goes with the new OWA and more importantly OMA there is no clear equivalent on Linux.

Having said all this, as Sharepoint (i.e. WSS) is now an integral component of Windows Server 2003, it may be cheaper to have this on a vanilla 2K3 server with Exchange if you want that and use a Linux box for plain file shares and possibly use this as the PDC.

If anyone knows of clear eqivalent of Sharepoint for Linux I would love to hear.

Toby.