PDA

View Full Version : Fedora deserves better than this

dunstq
17th January 2005, 09:58 AM
I was just checking the wikipedia entry for Fedora Core at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_core
Actually, I found it to be a bit disappointing and quite uninformative. If I did not know anything about this distro, this article would not get me interested in it. Maybe someone who is more qualified than me (which applies to nearly everyone on this forum) should try to add something to it.

macemoneta
17th January 2005, 10:09 AM
It looks fine to me. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not an advertisement. The entry is informative, and provides pointers to relevant information. What is it that you think is missing?

imdeemvp
17th January 2005, 11:38 AM
I did not see anything wrong with the article. Everything is base information that we know by now. Maybe you dont like the screenshot based on windows. :p

dunstq
17th January 2005, 04:19 PM
Well, just do a quick search for other distros like Slackware or Suse and you will find them much more informative. It is not about advertising, but telling more about ideas, special features and so on.

Myra
17th January 2005, 10:11 PM
The idea behind wikipedia is that everybody can change it. Don't like this? Change it yourself to include more info about ideas, special features and so on. Be aware to be objective enough of course, or your entry will not be used.

Jman
18th January 2005, 09:55 AM
I took a glance at this a while back (I was wacky for wikis at the time) and found nothing obviously wrong with it.

Granted, it's not inspiring. It's informative, and it has this thing they call on Wikipedia neutral point of view (NPOV). Does get dry and boring at times.

We could copy in the list of rpm pacakges. Wikipedians are always making lists of things. Even more boring.

How about a bit of Fedora policy: have an open project where anybody can participate, release often, and package quality software in rpms?

If you really want uninspired drivel, check out the Feodra Project stub page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Project). I made that diagram in Dia. But it has no content as Fedora Core is the Fedora Project.

FedoraForum did get the second unofficial link, by the way. :)