PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt my new profile load?

yellowsubmarine
25th August 2018, 10:44 AM
I created a new user profile to see if it was a profile display setting causing the strang hdmi issue I had in which after installing a hdmi cable I can only see normal viewing of the system on the TV and not on my original monitor. mHowever when i go an dlog out of my original user, log into as new user the screen goes black and puts me back to the log in menu without explanation? Any ideas as to why it doesnt load the desktop?

also is there any way to make any and all display settings default while in xfce?

Thanks in advance!

bgstack15
28th August 2018, 01:00 PM
Sometimes a desktop environment fails out if it does not find its config directories. It sounds like the default behavior should be to simple make new config directories, but I have had some problems with domain users logging in on the graphical console for the first time. Xfce uses ~/.config/xfce4 iirc. Perhaps you need to generate the ~/.config and then xfce can make its xfce4 directory.

yellowsubmarine
28th August 2018, 05:54 PM
Sometimes a desktop environment fails out if it does not find its config directories. It sounds like the default behavior should be to simple make new config directories, but I have had some problems with domain users logging in on the graphical console for the first time. Xfce uses ~/.config/xfce4 iirc. Perhaps you need to generate the ~/.config and then xfce can make its xfce4 directory.

Okay well thanks but that sounds complicated.

I don't understand why the system is making a mess of the display just on login, there doesn't appear to be any settings for the login screen, shame,looks like I'll have to play around with some other distros to see how they use the graphics card.

bgstack15
28th August 2018, 06:12 PM
Regarding login screen-- depending on which display manager (read: login screen) you use, you can find your settings in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf or maybe /etc/gdm. Although gdm probably uses dconf or something nowadays. If you're using gdm, check out the ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM