PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia grafic driver concepts ..

RawFoX
25th August 2018, 10:30 AM
Hello,

again im somewhat behind on my gfx driver, to get use of the latest developments, this time its Proton.
Proton demands 396.51 while officially 396.45 is actually distributed for Fedora.

Earlier, the use of Nouveau was not that easy for the gaming, how is it doing nowadays with Vulkan and Steam ?
I used to compile the Nvidia drivers locally to have actual versions, but that often leaded to problems so i fell back to the use of the distributed RPMs from nonfree repo i think.
The driver is actually loaded as kernel module, kmod-nvidia.

Now let me ask, what can i do to use current drivers without building them locally ?
Is there a repo out, were i can get a bleeding edge Nvidia driver as kmod rpm ?
Should i just wait for Fedora29 ?

Questions ... ^^

Let me hear some of your thoughts please, im curious how you do it with Nvidia and gaming on Fedora ....

RawFoX
26th August 2018, 11:24 PM
nwm, im back to Nvidia distributed drivers for now.

sfoley
30th August 2018, 04:10 AM
Just my two cents: I found it is better with Nvidia drivers to stay one release behind, since it takes awhile for them to appear in the repos. Right now I'm running Fedora 27 and don't plan on upgrading for some time. In general, I would say wait six months from a release date before upgrading.

RawFoX
30th August 2018, 12:33 PM
Just my two cents: I found it is better with Nvidia drivers to stay one release behind, since it takes awhile for them to appear in the repos. Right now I'm running Fedora 27 and don't plan on upgrading for some time. In general, I would say wait six months from a release date before upgrading.

You would advise me to wait up to 6 months for a repo shipped nvidia driver ?
Why ?!
Why stay one release behind ?!
F29 soon out of beta, have no fear, come into the future :)

In 6 months i expect StarCitizen to be playable in the Persistent Universe.

Actually im on 396.54 from here : https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/533434/linux/current-graphics-driver-releases/
I need an actual driver to serve the latest Vulkan drivers.
The new esync in wine made things even better but its a young Jedi, needs actual drivers, actual wine, actual actual ...

It depends on what you do on your box.
I like gaming and developing solutions.

I was just curious about what concepts you people follow ^^

sfoley
31st August 2018, 02:36 AM
haha, great reply RawFoX

I care about maybe 4-5 apps...web browser, text editor, terminal, file browser, video player, etc. Get those working and I'm fine :-)

So, once I spend hours and days trying to install nvidia (legacy) drivers on a new Fedora distro. In fact, I couldn't get them working until several months later when they magically appeared in the right repo. That's when I realized it makes sense what people say that it is best being 3-6 months behind on Fedora...makes for an easier life!