PDA

View Full Version : Why does screensaver activated when it is not set to?

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 02:52 PM
I recently installed to fedora 28, the screen goes black after ten minutes however, all the settings are for it to be off, the two settings for "blank after" and "cycle after" are set to 110 minutes plus the "lock screen" tick box is unticked. On the second tab for power settings it is not ticked either where it says "power management enabled" and it is all greyed out. Yesterday though the computer run fine for hours without turning off the monitor. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 02:57 PM
I just realized I turned off some services that start with the computer, do you think something there was holding the settings?

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 04:18 PM
Curiously I have just discovered I cant write an audio cd, both k3b and brasero through error message but didnt really explain the problem. K3b however did have a useful description inside the program itself stating the user had to be added to the cdrom group in order to use the cd burner. I did this via users groups program however it still didnt work?

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 05:05 PM
Seems like others are having issues regarding cd burning

https://www.preining.info/blog/2018/01/2018-and-cd-burning-still-painful/

I did the add to cdrom group in a previous version of ubuntu but perhaps something has changed in the setup of linux fedora for this not to work nowadays?

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 06:02 PM
wow i foudn the solution to my audio burning problem:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1580021#c1

type sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/wodim

yellowsubmarine
13th August 2018, 09:39 PM
Well I have discovered if I turn the screensaver back on but putting it to a timer of 100 minutes the monitor stays on, so this is what i have done. i do wonder given ive bought a new graphics card last week if its built into the card rather than OS software doing it.

LexRidge
13th August 2018, 11:34 PM
I have been having this "screensaver" problem now since upgrading from F25 to F26, and it continues through F27. However, I do not believe it is being caused by the screensaver, because mine still does it even when the screensaver is completely disabled. It happens randomly too, not just at 10 minutes. If I hit a key fast enough when it does this, it will come out of it and survive. However, if I am not around and it goes blank for an unknown amount of time, it will never wake up and I have to remote into the system via ssh and do a reboot. I even installed a new graphics card thinking that was the problem, but it made no difference.

I have a feeling this is a result of updating rather than a full reinstall but I have no way of proving this. It is possible it is also a bug in the nvidia driver. What type of GFX card are you using?

DaleDonofrio
13th August 2018, 11:58 PM
I guess it would depend on your end result in mind. If you just want the monitor to go to standby after a time period, or you want the screen saver to come on after a time period.
I had issues with the screen saver interfering with watching movies, after a time period you'd have to bump the mouse to bring the video back on. Even though the power management in
system settings was turned off, blank screen never. I found that there's a second player here, xscreensaver. VLC is normally setup to disable the blank screen when viewing full screen video.
It turned out that xscreensaver ignored this. I removed xscreensaver and set power management in system settings to blank after 5 minutes. Now video runs without having to bump the mouse to start the screen saver timer over, and without mouse or keyboard input, the screen goes to standby after 5 minutes. If you like the screen saver, set power management in system
settings to never, and adjust the screen saver as desired.
Hope this helps get you where you want to be.
( It's a hobby, but I like it )

yellowsubmarine
14th August 2018, 03:07 PM
I am using ASUS Radeon HD 4350 (512 MB) HDMI PCI Express Video Card - I thought I had found a solution to the problem as per yesterdays post of leaving the screen saver to a long time, however, it is now turning the screen off again. I am using fedora 28 as a fresh install owing to issues trying to upgrade.

yellowsubmarine
14th August 2018, 03:08 PM
I guess it would depend on your end result in mind. If you just want the monitor to go to standby after a time period, or you want the screen saver to come on after a time period.
I had issues with the screen saver interfering with watching movies, after a time period you'd have to bump the mouse to bring the video back on. Even though the power management in
system settings was turned off, blank screen never. I found that there's a second player here, xscreensaver. VLC is normally setup to disable the blank screen when viewing full screen video.
It turned out that xscreensaver ignored this. I removed xscreensaver and set power management in system settings to blank after 5 minutes. Now video runs without having to bump the mouse to start the screen saver timer over, and without mouse or keyboard input, the screen goes to standby after 5 minutes. If you like the screen saver, set power management in system
settings to never, and adjust the screen saver as desired.
Hope this helps get you where you want to be.
( It's a hobby, but I like it )

Wheer is xscreensaver then? Where are its settings?

yellowsubmarine
14th August 2018, 03:11 PM
omg i just found a second power utility called xfce power manager (applications, settings, power manager), it too has a function for blanking off the screen after a time frame. I will see how it runs now and report back!

yellowsubmarine
14th August 2018, 05:14 PM
This appears to have fixed the problem!