PDA

View Full Version : Official Fedora 28 Beta due out next 1st week of APRIL

lsatenstein
30th March 2018, 01:33 AM
Its a GO. Thank you Phoronix for the info.

Fedora 28 Beta To Be Released Next Week
(https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-28-Beta-Next-Week) Last week Fedora 28's beta was delayed due to open blocker bugs but fortunately the developers managed to get the issues squared away.

antikythera
30th March 2018, 06:26 AM
Good news I guess for those looking to try it out who haven't yet taken the plunge. As per usual, you don't need to download a fresh ISO and re-install if you already have F28 beta RC3 installed and running okay.

I've not had time and am hoping to find some next week (not very likely either but you never know).

erm67
30th March 2018, 06:55 AM
Good news I guess for those looking to try it out who haven't yet taken the plunge. As per usual, you don't need to download a fresh ISO and re-install if you already have F28 beta RC3 installed and running okay.

I've not had time and am hoping to find some next week (not very likely either but you never know).

I updated the "alpha" I had installed a few weeks ago with some problems, a distro sync was required for a downgrade and I had a nasty problem with libvirt-daemon

Error in PREUN scriptlet in rpm package libvirt-daemon

That I solved using:

sudo dnf --setopt=tsflags=noscripts erase libvirt-daemon-4.1.0-1.fc28.x86_64

I verified the results with

sudo rpm -V -a
And the MD5 or group of only a few files I haven't modified differs ... hopefully it works. Just in case somene has the problem.

I plan to reinstall the beta once it's out since I'd like to test and use /boot on btrfs.

I also tested the minimal raw image for aarch64 but it cannot be updated since the repo cannot be found (+ not being able to log in, but that's easy). Hopefully also the other archs will be fully setup once the real beta is out.

lsatenstein
30th March 2018, 11:05 PM
I have been a btrfs user and an xfs user. btrfs worked for me for / no issues.

I tried xfs for /home, and that did not work out. If you overallocate /home, you cannot shrink the xfs file. If you get an xfs file corruption, the xfs_repair utility takes a "month and a week" (expression for a long) time to repair. F or F28, I would likely remain with xfs or btrfs for / and ext4 for home. btrfs file access speed is trivially slower than xfs or ext4.

antikythera
31st March 2018, 11:25 AM
i use xfs for home but should the corruption problem ever happen, I've started using rsync instead of kup and bup so can get anything back very easily. It's far simpler and easier to access files when necessary.

lsatenstein
31st March 2018, 04:48 PM
With F28, xorg is not part of the logon menu.
Furthermore, an omission (probably a programming error)
One does not appear to have an option to see mounted drives, network drives or the trash bin in the desktop.
Hopefully, the 7April beta will have this omission restored.

erm67
31st March 2018, 11:52 PM
Well btrfs still has some fragmentation problems expecially with frequently modified files like databases and browser profiles, and rotational disks but it is improving. On my SSD instead btrfs + scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 and 0 readahead is really fast, I use the daily trim sys'd timer and mount with ssd_spread since mine is not a high end SSD and I had no problems for the last few monts.
Having /boot with a different filesystem as / is not really a problem since it is used only rarely, but having a clean fully btrfs disk looks a lot better, I'd say it is just an aestetic improvement.