PDA

View Full Version : Issues with latest kernel

Chilly Willy
28th March 2018, 06:17 PM
I should know better & broke my cardinal rule about updates, but I installed the 4.15.x kernel & it spits out some errors I can't read. (4.13.x does not)
I ran a command I found that was supposed to list them but I get a LOT more than just the 2 I'm supposed to have.
So the question is, how do I go about removing this NEW - [maybe] UNWANTED kernel?
Even though there is report of errors, they [so far] don't seem to be affecting anything. Should I delete, or is it safe to ignore the errors & use it???
Since they got rid of YUM & replaced it with this new thing, I've been lost on how to do much of anything. Plus my brain doesn't work like it used to.
And at times GOOGLE isn't much help... like now.

THANKS

Kobuck
28th March 2018, 06:27 PM
Issue the following CLI command as root:

# journalctl -b -p 3

Post your results here.

Chilly Willy
28th March 2018, 07:48 PM
Under the 4.15.x kernel it reads:

-- Logs begin at Sun 2018-03-25 10:16:03 EDT, end at Wed 2018-03-28 14:45:16 EDT. --
Mar 28 10:43:51 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[197]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Mar 28 10:43:51 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[197]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
Mar 28 10:43:51 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[197]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Mar 28 10:43:51 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[197]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Mar 28 14:44:02 localhost.localdomain spice-vdagent[1473]: Cannot access vdagent virtio channel /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0
Mar 28 14:44:02 localhost.localdomain pulseaudio[1363]: [pulseaudio] backend-ofono.c: Failed to register as a handsfree audio agent with ofono: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
Mar 28 14:44:03 localhost.localdomain cupsd[974]: [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
Mar 28 14:44:03 localhost.localdomain cupsd[974]: [cups-deviced] PID 1650 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
Mar 28 14:44:04 localhost.localdomain cupsd[974]: [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
~

Under 4.13.x it reads:

Logs begin at Sun 2018-03-25 10:16:03 EDT, end at Wed 2018-03-28 14:50:58 EDT. --
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[569]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[569]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[569]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[569]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[718]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[718]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[718]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[718]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[738]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[738]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[738]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[738]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[752]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[752]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[752]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Mar 28 14:49:38 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[752]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Mar 28 14:49:43 localhost.localdomain spice-vdagent[1462]: Cannot access vdagent virtio channel /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0
Mar 28 14:49:44 localhost.localdomain bluetoothd[893]: RFCOMM server failed for Headset Voice gateway: socket(STREAM, RFCOMM): Protocol not supported (93)
Mar 28 14:49:44 localhost.localdomain pulseaudio[1394]: [pulseaudio] backend-ofono.c: Failed to register as a handsfree audio agent with ofono: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name o
Mar 28 14:49:44 localhost.localdomain bluetoothd[893]: RFCOMM server failed for :1.38/Profile/HSPHSProfile/00001108-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb: socket(STREAM, RFCOMM): Protocol not supported (93)
Mar 28 14:49:44 localhost.localdomain cupsd[973]: [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
Mar 28 14:49:44 localhost.localdomain cupsd[973]: [cups-deviced] PID 1623 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
lines 1-27

Neither have anything to do with what I get a glimpse of at boot. - I get time, I'm gonna record it, then MAYBE i can actually read it.
If I read this right, it appears that even with the so call errors, I'm no worse off running 15...

Kobuck
28th March 2018, 08:57 PM
If I read this right, it appears that even with the so call errors, I'm no worse off running 15...

Agreed, looks to be the same issues in both journal logs.

Other things you might try for more insight:
1) examine the contents of "/var/log/boot.log" with a text editor.
2) issue " dmesg --level=warn" as a root CLI command
3 try priority levels 4 or 5 with the "journalctl -b -p <x>" command ( these messages are usually not critical to operation)

Chilly Willy
28th March 2018, 09:07 PM
OK, there was nothing of any concern that I saw, all "OK" so I'll think I'll just leave well enough alone.
I may still record, if only out of curiosity...

Thanks

Chilly Willy
29th March 2018, 02:29 AM
I recorded that error at boot & this is what it said:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details

---Plus some "OK" stuff---

Ran the command & this is what I got:

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (exited) since Wed 2018-03-28 20:55:57 EDT; 28min ago
Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
man:modules-load.d(5)
Process: 566 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 566 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-modules-load.service

Mar 28 20:55:57 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started Load Kernel Modules.

I have NO IDEA what this is all about OR what it is trying to tell me!!!

Kobuck
29th March 2018, 03:22 AM
Perhaps this will help??

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=210194

Chilly Willy
29th March 2018, 05:38 AM
I really don't see what virtualbox has to do with all this - I uninstalled it (so I thought) & it didn't seem to make any difference.
When I reinstalled it, I changed one setting (added virtual guest additions) & almost hosed my setup.
Doing this through software management as I can't figure out the file name. I looked it up & none of the commands seem to work.

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-with-yum-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

I really don't actually NEED VB & at the moment have nothing in it. But it DOES come up so I'm really confused as to what is going on.
I'd hate to have to redo my setup again.

The more I look at this, the more confused I get. And I don't understand why the commands don't work! (a lot of OTHERS didn't either - that if I recall correctly did on other versions)
Also, what gets me is the end result looks the same, so why does one kernel report an error & the other doesn't?
I'm feeling like even less than a NEWBIE.

Since there is NO ERROR at boot with 13 kernel, I'm now SERIOUSLY reconsidering removing that 15 kernel - but will need the directions on how.
Bottom line: How do I get this thing to a reliable state where I KNOW I"m not gonna have any issues???

Kobuck
29th March 2018, 04:01 PM
Since there is NO ERROR at boot with 13 kernel, I'm now SERIOUSLY reconsidering removing that 15 kernel

I wouldn't take much comfort that no error is issued. It could be that you hadn't created the offending condition yet, or the 4.13 kernel was not capable of detecting the condition.
And yes, it is possible the error is introduced by the 4.15 kernel. It may be that you have residue of the vbox install affecting the kernel module loads. In which case you may be just fine as long as you don't need vbox.

FWIW:
My recommendation for regaining a stable installation is to preform a new "from scratch" install. Going backwards in the release chain is very difficult unless you have retained backup images you can restore. I would also suggest you decide what your objectives are in running your Linux environment and pick a distribution appropriate to your needs.

Two selection examples:
"Fedora" is aimed at closely tracking the latest versions of upstream packages. The consequence is that features change and you often must make adjustments to maintain operations.
"CentOS" is aimed at cloning RedHat current release. The consequence is that the latest and greatest features are not always available, but the rate of change is much more stable. Major change is less frequent and you spend much less time maintaining your operating environment.

The following information demonstrates how the distribution goals affect the content:
Fedora 27 - current kernel: 4.15.12, gcc ver: 7.3.1, Libre Office ver: 5.4.6.2
CentOS 7 - current kernel: 3.10.0, gcc ver: 4.8.5, Libre Office ver: 5.0.6.2
CentOS 6.9 - current kernel: 2.6.32, gcc ver: 4.4.7, Libre Office ver: 4.3.7.2

Chilly Willy
29th March 2018, 05:50 PM
As far as choosing what I want, I did that YEARS ago, trying many distros & fedora is my choice, followed by CentOS. But the latter can be a bit behind for some of my needs.
Since I really don't NEED VB, I'm wondering, if I go through that software management thing & uncheck EVERYTHING VB related, would THAT clear out this issue since it seems to be related to that anyway?
Or what would happen if I just ignored it & tried to use VB would it give me any fits. I have had reported "errors" before that meant nothing.
As I mentioned, I REALLY don't want to have to redo my install. Plus I noticed on my NOTEBOOK that if I installed certain things it totally broke my install. Even little things like a certain widget. That makes me wonder about linux all together. Like what's going on now that this is happening? Yes things are getting easier / better in some areas but others are totally screwed up.

I am actually an old hat at linux, although right now you can't tell it - I have medical issues that affect my thinking / memory & the fact that things keep changing, like the commands, doesn't help.
Or when they don't seem to work. I STILL use YUM because that is what I am used to & remember. Now I see YUMEX is gone too. This is why I stuck with F17 for so long. It works. (for ME anyway)
Which leads me to ANOTHER issue, a LOT of the newer versions have something about them, either they "errored" or flat out didn't work at all. I had to go through about a dozen (including CENTOS) to get to THIS point. Didn't have that with F17 & back.

I'm really appreciating you at least trying to help me on this - thanks

UPDATE: I tried to clear out VB - even tried the commands in that link & got it to the point of install & it didn't recognize VIRTUALBOX - 5.2 (WEIRD - wonder what the reason?) So I went back into the software management & reinstalled there. Either way I go, the end is the same, so for now, I'm just gonna run it. (unless there's a reason NOT to that you see that I don't) - I'm wondering if all this isn't a "false positive" anyway. I'm not seeing ANY real ill affects, so far anyway.