PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 58 slow to start

tashirosgt
21st February 2018, 06:30 PM
On FC 27 (XFCE spin, installed yesterday from liveCd and updated via dnf) I find Firefox 58.0.2 (also installed yesterday via dnf) is slow to start up. About 15 seconds elapses between the time I select it as an application and the window opens. Apparently this is a common problem and the Firefox website has information about fixing it, but those tips didn't work.

The home page is "blank page". The only add-ons are whatever came with the default Firefox installation. There is no antivirus software except whatever same with the FC 27 live CD install. Hooked to the same modem/router, there is a FC 24 machine and its Firefox 38 starts up quickly.

jeffnz
24th February 2018, 09:07 PM
Hi, I searched for 'xfce' and found your thread. I'm on Fedora 27 XFCE and I don't have any problem with FF 58.0.2. I often feel that things are slow on this AMD a10, but it never takes >10 seconds to load, it must be a bug.

marko
25th February 2018, 12:55 AM
Avast Anti Virus has a known problem that makes Firefox slow to start
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1206176

I see there is a "Avast for Linux" as an available A/V maybe you have that?

antikythera
25th February 2018, 10:36 AM
there is no antivirus software in any fedora live ISO, you'd have to install it yourself if needed. generally, it isn't required unless you are running a cross-platform mail server or accessing downloaded files in windows/sharing files with windows users.

is avast linux still available for home users? i thought it was discontinued

sonnhy
28th March 2018, 11:28 AM
I'm having the same problem as OP.
I'm on F27 Workstation (GNOME), little customization out-of-the-box, and updated Firefox to 59.
The boot ups are slow, almost >10-15s, where on Ubuntu it was almost instantaneos.
Hot or cold boot of the application, either from terminal or from gnome-shell are slow.
I don't have any antivirus installed.
I've also tried to start Firefox in safe mode, with the addons disabled but the situation remain the same.
Reading on Logs there's no message regarding Firefox.

lightman47
28th March 2018, 12:11 PM
is avast linux still available for home users? i thought it was discontinued

Last I knew, Avast & AVG had 'merged'.

antikythera
28th March 2018, 12:55 PM
Last I knew, Avast & AVG had 'merged'.

yes AVG acquired a large stake in avast! a while back and it's actually done some good to both their product ranges. the reason I mentioned avast for linux (free home use version) being discontinued is that it hasn't received any development or updates to the program itself for many years. discontinued may be the wrong term but it's certainly abandon-ware at best. it may well still run with current databases but whether it is supported by recent versions of libraries used by Fedora is another matter entirely.

nsnbm
28th March 2018, 10:16 PM
sonnhy wrote:

The boot ups are slow

You could run:

systemd-analyze blame

to check what the hold up is on boot.

lsatenstein
28th March 2018, 11:50 PM
On FC 27 (XFCE spin, installed yesterday from liveCd and updated via dnf) I find Firefox 58.0.2 (also installed yesterday via dnf) is slow to start up. About 15 seconds elapses between the time I select it as an application and the window opens. Apparently this is a common problem and the Firefox website has information about fixing it, but those tips didn't work.

The home page is "blank page". The only add-ons are whatever came with the default Firefox installation. There is no antivirus software except whatever same with the FC 27 live CD install. Hooked to the same modem/router, there is a FC 24 machine and its Firefox 38 starts up quickly.

Hi tashirosgt

Is this slow start once a day or after every reboot (more than one reboot per day).
Once a day there is a brief filecheck run. The setting within the /etc/fstab usually runs that check for /boot, /home and /
If your on a one disk system, it has to run them sequentially.

That may be reason for your slow startup. My experience is that if I shut down for two three hours and I return, that filecheck is bypassed. It seems filecheck is only invoked once per calendar day.

Three lines from my etc/fstab

#<file system> <mount> <type> <options> <dmp fsck> <xref> <label>
UUID=8bfe1d95-10d7-4416-907b-bf70ea745fa4 / xfs defaults,noatime 1 2 #/dev/sde6 sde6Slash
UUID=7628c776-dfb1-4089-ba14-ec6378562115 /boot ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1 #/dev/sde3 sde3boot
UUID=a12f8632-5693-4dcd-8a4a-c3bf73230912 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 1 2 #/dev/sde4 sde6Home

sonnhy
4th April 2018, 04:34 PM
You could run:

systemd-analyze blame

to check what the hold up is on boot.

Sorry, I meant the start up times of firefox, not general OS boot up.
After clicking on the dash icon of Firefox, the window takes 10-15s to appear, even when it's a warm start after I've closed it, in the same session.
The same happens when I have Firefox opened and I click on a link in any application (ex. in the about dialog, for the app website) and only after a noticeable amount of time, a new tab loads on Firefox.