PDA

View Full Version : Disabling single click behaviour in Open Files dialog in Fedora 27

orschiro
28th January 2018, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone,

How can I disable the single click to select a file in the open file dialog? This is super irritating. I want to double click!

Attaching you a screenshot of the open file dialog for context.

Thank you!

DaleDonofrio
28th January 2018, 10:22 PM
It looks like, from the screen shot, you're using nautilus. open the file manager and look at the very top of the screen, there's a little icon of a file cabinet that says Files. right click on it and select Preferences. under the tab Behavior is the option for single or double click. Hope it helps.

lsatenstein
29th January 2018, 03:32 AM
It works for Nautilus, but should it not be part of the mouse configuration? What about the dash and items on the dash. Is nautilus integrated with the entire gnome-shell and display?

orschiro
29th January 2018, 08:40 AM
It looks like, from the screen shot, you're using nautilus. open the file manager and look at the very top of the screen, there's a little icon of a file cabinet that says Files. right click on it and select Preferences. under the tab Behavior is the option for single or double click. Hope it helps.

Thanks but it doesn't work. That only changes the behaviour of Nautilus Files but not the "Open Files" dialog window.

Try it yourself. In your browser, click Ctrl + O and select a file with a single click.

For me it selects the file and closes the dialog window. And right here I want a double click behaviour to select.

LeWhoo
30th January 2018, 06:12 AM
I second the question, but I doubt there will be an answer. Gnome developers are like children learning to program. Different behaviour in Nautilus, different in dialogs, and even withing a dialog it is not consisten for me - double click works normally, but after searching it is a single click. Perhaps we need to wait for yet another "major" update to Gnome to have this fixed.

orschiro
30th January 2018, 08:19 AM
I second the question, but I doubt there will be an answer. Gnome developers are like children learning to program. Different behaviour in Nautilus, different in dialogs, and even withing a dialog it is not consisten for me - double click works normally, but after searching it is a single click. Perhaps we need to wait for yet another "major" update to Gnome to have this fixed.

Do you or anybody else know the respective bug reports to track? There really should be consistency across the different GTK components (dialog windows) and Files.

leigh123linux
30th January 2018, 09:38 AM
The file dialog is provided by GTK3 itself not Nautilus.

$ gsettings list-recursively org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-column 'name'
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser clock-format '24h'
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser last-folder-uri ''
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sidebar-width 148
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser window-position (451, 168)
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser show-size-column true
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser startup-mode 'recent'
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser show-hidden false
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser window-size (1018, 742)
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-directories-first false
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser expand-folders false
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser date-format 'regular'
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-order 'ascending'
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser location-mode 'path-bar'

orschiro
30th January 2018, 11:45 AM
Thanks!

I assume this is the respective bug report then:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758065

l canninga
1st November 2018, 08:26 AM

This new behaviour is super annoying, as well as the type as you search, it searches sub folders, when all you want is to find a file or directory within the list.
clicking on a selected item, acts like a double click, and opens the item (all i want it to make sure the control has the focus before i start typing the search text)
the file list control also does not keep the focus.