PDA

View Full Version : Fedora stuck booting before launching GDM after installing vbox guest additions

reethok
28th January 2018, 12:13 AM
So, I have been trying to set up a working fedora VM under virtual box (win 10 host) but I can't get it to work.

After installing guest additions and rebooting, it gets stuck at:

[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager.
[OK] Started vboxadd-service.service
_

When it get's to that point, the screen flashes 3-5 times, then it gets stuck there.

I can access tty2, and do startx to get a graphical desktop. Any ideas?

pilipl
2nd February 2018, 09:52 AM
I have the exact same problem as mentioned by reethok, but it works without the guest additions. Not sure on which side is the issue (Fedora or VirtualBox).

betakuang
7th February 2018, 01:14 PM
I installed VirtualBox Guest Additions first (with errors asking me to install kernel-devel), then upgraded my kernel and rebooted, and that's when I encountered the same problem as reethok. I managed to fix it with the method below.
1. When stuck at "[OK] Started vboxadd-service.service", press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to open another session, and login with my account.
2. Use sudo startx to start up a GUI as root.
3. Run the VirtualBox Guest Additions installer again. This will uninstall the VirtualBox tools and re-install it. After that reboot Fedora, and it works.

pilipl
6th March 2018, 09:21 AM
I installed VirtualBox Guest Additions first (with errors asking me to install kernel-devel), then upgraded my kernel and rebooted, and that's when I encountered the same problem as reethok. I managed to fix it with the method below.
1. When stuck at "[OK] Started vboxadd-service.service", press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to open another session, and login with my account.
2. Use sudo startx to start up a GUI as root.
3. Run the VirtualBox Guest Additions installer again. This will uninstall the VirtualBox tools and re-install it. After that reboot Fedora, and it works.

Did not work for me. However upgrade to the newest VirtualBox version (5.2.8) solved my issue, as I was able to install the guest additions successfully