PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mount SMB shares after system-upgrade to F27 from F26.

Kayos
6th December 2017, 05:59 PM
Hi.

Since performaing a dnf system-upgrade to F27 (from F26) I'm unable to mount SMB shares, either using the Gnome File app or the gio mount command. E.g:

gio mount smb://hostname/sharename/

I'm prompted for User/Domain/Password but then the mount fails with an error :

gio: smb://hostname/sharename: Failed to mount Windows share: Function not implemented

I'm able to connect and browse the share using the same credentials and smbclient. And, after referting to a VM snapshot taken prior to the system-upgrade, I'm able to mount the share under F26.

I haven't been able to find anything in the user or system journal and I can't really work out if it's a Samba client, GIO/GVFS or some other issue.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

PiElle
14th December 2017, 06:40 PM
Same problem here. Before the upgrade it used to work perfectly.

jbkt23
15th December 2017, 04:32 AM
Try adding -o vers=1.0 to the end of your command line if your server is older samba version.

gio mount smb://hostname/sharename/ -o vers=1.0

If the server is newer try 2.0.

I saw your thread and hadn't tested my mount since also upgrading to F27, and I could not mount my shares. So I searched the error message I was getting and found that Samba 4.0 servers now require mount requests using SMBV2.0 so newer clients on the upgraded machines are only useing that protocol.

Hope this helps.

Kayos
18th December 2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply jbkt23.

It does look to be a SMB protocol version problem, I'm able to mount the share using:

mount -t cifs //hostname/sharename /mnt -o user=user,password=password -o vers=1.0

It's a share on a NetApp filer that, I'm guessing, hasn't been updated for a while. Now I just have to work out how to tell 'gio mount' to use a specific SMB protocol version.

Cheers.

Kayos
18th December 2017, 01:47 PM
I've managed to work around the 'gio mount' issued by adding the following to [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:

client max protocol = NT1

Setting the 'client min protocol' paramter doesn't seem to help, only restricting the max worked for me.

This is probably not going to work for anyone looking to mount protocol version 2 or 3 shares as well as earlier versions. For those people maybe keep an eye on this bug report : https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1474539