PDA

View Full Version : Problems Running VirtualBox on F27

Lizzie
4th December 2017, 10:13 AM
Attempting to get VirtualBox 5.2.2 r119230 from the website running on Fedora 27.

I get the following error message when I attempt to start the program:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

So I then ran the following:

[root@lizzie Lizzie]# cd /usr/src/kernels
[root@lizzie kernels]# ls
4.13.13-300.fc27.x86_64 4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64 4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64
[root@lizzie kernels]# export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64
[root@lizzie kernels]# /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

With the following error message:

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

With the following message in the log file:

tail /var/log/vbox-install.log
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.modinst
mkdir -p /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc ; cp /tmp/vbox.0/vboxpci.ko /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc ; true /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko ; scripts/sign-file "sha256" "certs/signing_key.pem" certs/signing_key.x509 /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko || true && true /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko
At main.c:160:
- SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: crypto/bio/bss_file.c:74
- SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: crypto/bio/bss_file.c:81
sign-file: certs/signing_key.pem: No such file or directory
/bin/sh ./scripts/depmod.sh /sbin/depmod 4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64 ""
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:99: *** The variable KERN_DIR must be a kernel build folder and end with /build without a trailing slash, or KERN_VER must be set. Stop.

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this problem?

Lizzie

glennzo
4th December 2017, 10:47 AM
Update your system. Reboot. Install kernel-devel-$(uname -r). Rerun /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

Take pointers from my install script. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?302701-Oracle-VirtualBox-installation-script

Lizzie
5th December 2017, 08:13 PM
Update your system. Reboot. Install kernel-devel-$(uname -r). Rerun /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

Take pointers from my install script. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?302701-Oracle-VirtualBox-installation-script

System has been updated. Kernel-devel has been installed. Still received the same error messages as before when i ran vboxdrv.sh. I looked at you installation script, i just plain do not know enough to really understand it. Any additional assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Lizzie

pingwu
5th December 2017, 08:18 PM
I am also having the same problem. Still trying to figure out. . .

glennzo
5th December 2017, 09:36 PM
Have a look at https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/98219/install-virtualbox-on-fedora-25-uefi-secure-boot-kernel-modules-signing/. I think there may be some information that pertains to your issues regarding unsigned kernel modules. This is something I haven't had to deal with but I see this mentioned quite often.

Lizzie
5th December 2017, 11:38 PM
Have a look at https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/98219/install-virtualbox-on-fedora-25-uefi-secure-boot-kernel-modules-signing/. I think there may be some information that pertains to your issues regarding unsigned kernel modules. This is something I haven't had to deal with but I see this mentioned quite often.

Went to the link you provided and it sent me to an updated version of the article at https://gorka.eguileor.com/vbox-vmware-in-secureboot-linux-2016-update/ .

One of the first steps it has you do is to check vboxdrv with the following command: modprobe -v vboxdrv

When I did this I got a different error message thatn the one that he appears to be discussing. My error message is as follows:

sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.16-302.fc27.x86_64.

Lizzie

smr54
6th December 2017, 03:59 AM
Just to be sure. uname -r will show a version of the kernel. Check that version against rpm -q kernel-* and make sure it's the same number. I suspect Glenn's right though and it's some sort of signing issue.

pingwu
6th December 2017, 08:28 AM
Found an easy way out -- Disable the security boot.

Actually I have been doing this for quite some time. This is a new machine, and I forgot this step. Also I just switched from Ubuntu to Fedora.

This is a new Ryzen 7 1700 machine with RX 550; the VMs are on an SSD USB stick. Runs super fast!

glennzo
6th December 2017, 09:39 AM
Went to the link you provided and it sent me to an updated version of the article at https://gorka.eguileor.com/vbox-vmware-in-secureboot-linux-2016-update/ .

One of the first steps it has you do is to check vboxdrv with the following command: modprobe -v vboxdrv

When I did this I got a different error message thatn the one that he appears to be discussing. My error message is as follows:

sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.16-302.fc27.x86_64.

Lizzie

One of the other things the thread talks about is signing the kernel module. That's what Im referring to. This is something I haven't had to deal with, but apparently necessary if you're using secure boot.

Lizzie
7th December 2017, 07:54 PM
For whatever reason, VBox is now operational. On a whim this morning, I decided to try and start it. It started right up. Somebondy somewhere did something and the problem has been resolved.

Lizzie

bobx001
7th December 2017, 09:28 PM
For whatever reason, VBox is now operational. On a whim this morning, I decided to try and start it. It started right up. Somebondy somewhere did something and the problem has been resolved.

Lizzie

I have found this issue many times, and it usually happens when I install VBox, and "then" I decide to upgrade the OS (which changes the kernel version numbers). Somehow the vboxconfig seems to "like" old kernel version numbers in the kernel-devel package. It maybe an interesting idea to always remove all the old kernel-devel packages when doing an upgrade, and then seeing if the vboxconfig exists and runs.

EDIT: maybe someone at VBox should run a "uname -a" to see what is actually running, before trying to compile a kernel module.