PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need .iso for core install

Ron350
28th November 2017, 05:21 AM
My first post here. I want to do a minimal, base or core installation of Fedora 27 upon which to build. I would not use a display manager, and would install OpenBox,
Xorg, Cups etc, plus whatever Applications I need to run. Problem is, I haven't been able to find the proper install media. Seems like the Server Edition might work, but
I wonder about it including items I have no use for.

antikythera
28th November 2017, 09:31 AM
server ISO would work or even workstation-netinstall. both give you granular control over which package groups are installed above and beyond the bare minimum during installation. after install you can use dnf to install individual packages instead of groups.

smr54
28th November 2017, 01:00 PM
No, don't use the server install. It now installs its own modular repos which are lacking a lot of programs. (Just as an example, if you use the rxvt-unicode terminal, that's not available.) Use the workstation install, and when you are at the screen showing installation options there's an option for package selection. The default will be workstation, but you can change it to minimal install, which, while bigger than an Arch or VoidLinux install, still gives you a nice minimal base.

Ron350
28th November 2017, 04:17 PM
Okay, looks like I have three options. I'll get to work and report back, in a couple days, with results.

Did the Workstation install to hard drive.
After disk partition and root and user input, installation of software began, automatically, with no choice of anything. Then it installed the boot loader and did post install tasks. Then only option was to "Quit." After a wait, I found myself in a desktop, probably Gnome. Nowhere did I see any option for a base or core install. Ruled this option out; netinstall is next.

Results are in. Nobody wins.

antikythera, you are close, but no cigar. Seems like a workstation install is what it is, no matter whether installed from DVD or the net. Server is close to what one would get from an Arch install. It is what it is, and so far it's working for me.

sm54, well, I already commented.

And for the people who put up the fancy 'Download Fedora' site: Shame on you.
Site says "Fedora 27 Released - Get It Now" But, when I downloaded the DVD and the net install CD I got Version 26.

Peace

lsatenstein
30th November 2017, 03:47 AM
Use the network installation version of Fedora 27. There will be a two column menu.
Choose minimal (bare bones) install from the left column, and the package groups presented on the right.
You can do what you want.. "Pick and choose"

smr54
30th November 2017, 09:34 AM
Odd. Last time I checked, the server install only had modular available, and even choosing a minimal install left me with repos for said modular server. As for the workstation, there should have been, at the screen you mention, a software selection option. I think Leslie's suggestion is probably best in this case, go for the net install. Apologies for steering you wrong, but my experience didn't match yours.

antikythera
30th November 2017, 03:06 PM
And for the people who put up the fancy 'Download Fedora' site: Shame on you.
Site says "Fedora 27 Released - Get It Now" But, when I downloaded the DVD and the net install CD I got Version 26.

Peace

the dodgy downloads are nothing to do with anyone here, this is an independent user forum not an official fedora project site.

Ron350
30th November 2017, 06:27 PM
Looks like I've gone full circle now. Fedora Server 27 is beta, nothing I'd use for a daily driver. Maybe sometime later. Server 26 is only way to go if doing a minimal install where a desktop is not wanted. Openbox with no display mgr and one panel will do nicely. Thanks everyone for trying to help. I would mark this solved if only i knew how.

antikythera
30th November 2017, 06:51 PM
no problem, the reason Fedora 27 server is still in beta is they are trying something different architecturally with it and haven't closed all release blocking bugs yet. I've marked the thread solved, this forum is also going through some version upgrades and changes (until recently it was still powered by out of date vB3) and the plugins that provide some functions haven't been loaded in yet.