PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn off keyboard shortcuts not listed in the preferences?

gutsknucklebone
21st November 2017, 04:41 AM
It seems like all Linux distros have a lot of weird little keyboard shortcuts that make weird things happen when you're typing, like the screen jumping halfway down the page, or like everything you just typed being selected and deleted. I don't know if these are glitches or real shortcuts that can be turned off somehow. But it drives me nuts. Seems like I primarily notice it on Firefox and Chrome. I have already turned off everything I could find in the shortcuts listed in the preferences section.

solo2101
21st November 2017, 06:35 AM
It seems like all Linux distros have a lot of weird little keyboard shortcuts that make weird things happen when you're typing, like the screen jumping halfway down the page, or like everything you just typed being selected and deleted. I don't know if these are glitches or real shortcuts that can be turned off somehow. But it drives me nuts. Seems like I primarily notice it on Firefox and Chrome. I have already turned off everything I could find in the shortcuts listed in the preferences section.

This sounds more like a touchpat being to sensitive issue than a shorcut issue. Are you using a laptop?

gutsknucklebone
21st November 2017, 10:13 AM
This sounds more like a touchpat being to sensitive issue than a shorcut issue. Are you using a laptop?

Yes but it happens when I'm not using the touchpad. It happens when I'm typing.

antikythera
21st November 2017, 11:18 AM
maybe a sticky CTRL key mechanism?

solo2101
21st November 2017, 04:23 PM
Yes but it happens when I'm not using the touchpad. It happens when I'm typing.

I have seen this problem often. Usually the palm of the hand rest on the touchpad or touches it slightly and makes the cursor jump.

You could try making sure your hands are not even resting close to the touchpad when you are typing, more in a vertical position, or you could search how to disable touchpad when typing.