PDA

View Full Version : Unknown hardware error given on boot.

SudoSteep
19th November 2017, 01:34 PM
Hi, every time I boot into my new Fedora 27 install, a pop-up tells me that there's a hardware error. Nothing appears to be wrong on my machine and I don't get this warning for other distributions. What can I do to get rid of that pop-up error message?

I've posted screen-shots of what I get when I click the pop-up for more info.

29200 29201

sidebrnz
19th November 2017, 09:32 PM
As I also told you on ask.fedora, you clearly have a hardware problem and need to get your computer fixed.

nsnbm
19th November 2017, 11:26 PM
The first thing I would do is run:

smartctl -H /dev/sda

and if it yields: PASSED, and nothing else appears faulty with the hard drive or computer, I'd be curious about mcelog. If PASSED did not appear then I'd run:

smartctl -a /dev/sda

and investigate the results, probably with the help of a some search engine.

Other alternatives I've used in the past are using some of the hard disk manufacturer's tools for looking in more detail at the hard disk and the motherboard.

The journal may have some info, so you could run something like:

journalctl -l -p err

to show up errors. Many errors can be ignored so it's a bit like picking needles from the haystack, but using a search engine for help on obscure kernel expressions may be useful.

sidebrnz
20th November 2017, 01:17 AM
That's all well and good if it's the hard disk that's failing, but it won't help if there's a problem on the mobo, the NIC or something like that. Still, it can't hurt, because if nothing else, you'll eliminate that as a possible problem.

nsnbm
20th November 2017, 03:13 AM
Actually, I did make a reference to the hardware manufacturer's tools for the motherboard. One would think that they provide the most relevant tools, but perhaps not in some cases, but as first point of call, they would be a good choice I think.

antikythera
20th November 2017, 08:49 AM
shouldn't the mcelog be looked at to determine what the problem is?

grep -i "hardware error" /var/log/mcelog

nsnbm
20th November 2017, 09:48 AM
Yes. But mcelog has a chequered history. I can only speak of the past because recent experience has been without any mcelog messages. I have run machines in the past which doggedly threw up mcelog errors without any other symptoms of dysfunction which I could find, which meant there were no consequences to the messages. In the absence of other tools finding errors, and no other problems with the machine, mcelog lost its saliency. That's not to say to ignore mcelog errors, but I think they need to be corroborated. Unfortunately, when I had to deal with it, often the errors were unspecified.

SudoSteep
20th November 2017, 06:12 PM
After running the smartctl it says "PASSED".

The hard drive is only a few months old this error has only come up since installing Fedora 27.