PDA

View Full Version : Installing Nvidia 304xx on Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin.

Sethanath
19th November 2017, 01:18 AM
Hi,

I did the steps below in order to install Nvidia driver on my Compaq Presario F763NR. My OS is Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin.

1. Enable access to the free repository via Firefox.
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-27.noarch.rpm

2. Enable access to the nonfree repositories via Firefox.
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-27.noarch.rpm

3. $ /sbin/lspci | grep -e VGA
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C67 [GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M] (rev a2)

4. $dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-304xx akmod-nvidia-304xx "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"
$dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
5. $dnf update -y

My questions to you are below.

1. I would like to install CUDA, but I do not know what CUDA is. Should I just install it with the command below? I don't mind to have it, however.
dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

2. The same way for Valcan. Should I just install it with the command below? I don't mind to have it :)
dnf install vulkan

3. From the quote below, since I am using Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin, I believe I am not using wayland, so I do not need to do the steps below correct?

Gnome with Wayland and NVIDIA doesn't work by default at this point. There is a need to have a special version of mutter built with eglstream support.

dnf copr enable mati865/mutter-eglstream
dnf --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="mati865-mutter-eglstream" reinstall mutter

4. From the quote below, I am unsure if I am allowed to do the steps below.

RPM Fusion support ffmpeg compiled with NVENC/NVDEC with Fedora 25 and later. You need to have a recent NVIDIA card (see the support matrix), and install the cuda sub-package.

Please have a look on the ffmpeg HWAccel introduction to the feature

5. From the quote below, I am also unsure if I am allowed to do the steps below.

VDPAU/VAAPI

In order to enable video acceleration support for your player and if your NVIDIA card is recent enough (Geforce 8 and later is needed). You can install theses packages:

# dnf install vdpauinfo libva-vdpau-driver libva-utils

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

leigh123linux
19th November 2017, 08:17 AM
Hi,

My questions to you are below.

1. I would like to install CUDA, but I do not know what CUDA is. Should I just install it with the command below? I don't mind to have it, however.

2. The same way for Valcan. Should I just install it with the command below? I don't mind to have it :)
dnf install vulkan

3. From the quote below, since I am using Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin, I believe I am not using wayland, so I do not need to do the steps below correct?

4. From the quote below, I am unsure if I am allowed to do the steps below.

5. From the quote below, I am also unsure if I am allowed to do the steps below.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

1. Your card is to old to support cuda.
2. Your card is to old to support vulkan.
3. Correct cinnamon doesn't use mutter or wayland.
4. Your card is to old to support hardware encoding or decoding.
5. Why bother with non-native decoding, use vdpau instead (installed as a dep when you install the nvidia driver).

Sethanath
19th November 2017, 04:52 PM
Someone once told me, there might not be hardware requirement for CUDA, though (#1).

antikythera
19th November 2017, 04:59 PM
Someone once told me, there might not be hardware requirement for CUDA, though (#1).

Leigh is correct in this case, I don't know who told you that but they need to read up on GPU architecture a bit more. There is a minimum hardware specification to run OpenCL/CUDA and the 7000M is two generations of hardware back from meeting it

leigh123linux
19th November 2017, 05:03 PM

Someone was wrong!

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

Sethanath
19th November 2017, 05:08 PM
Thank you so much.