PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why Fedora has no GUI automatic user login option ??

User808
18th November 2017, 01:27 PM
Hi.

Why Fedora has no GUI automatic user login option ??

Fedora is very nice distro. & many users prefer it when know about it's up-to-date packages. But many blocked due to easy to add options like "automatic login" option for user.

Any explanation ? I understood security power of this approach but not all user need such high security especially when owner of laptop or PC is the SINGLE user of machine ....

satanselbow
18th November 2017, 01:54 PM
If you are talking about the Cinnamon Spin - which uses lightdm you may add the following line to the lightdm config ... there is no GUI to do this by default but GUI lightdm configuration tools are available if you require them

# gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

autologin-user=insert your username

bob
18th November 2017, 01:55 PM
moved to Using Fedora.

User808
18th November 2017, 06:26 PM
GUI lightdm configuration tools are available if you require them
[/code]

Thank you for replay. But please can you give me the exact name of package. I saw package called "lightdm-setting", isn't it ? Is (are) there other package(s) ? If there are other packages, so which one is the best (used by Linux Mint by default) ?

User808
19th November 2017, 07:20 PM
Hi. Any help please? What is - if existing - name of best GUI package to achieve autologin on Cinnamon DE?

Other thing: if I have to use command line (edit system file manually) then if user name start by CAP then should I enter it with 1st character being CAP or should be small? Take this exsmple:
My user name account is Nokia808 so should I write it as Nokia808 or nokia808 when I edit file system lightdm.conf ?

lsatenstein
19th November 2017, 07:38 PM
Gnome settings for user

Follow system-tray»»»Details»»»Users and Toggle Automatic Logon

User808
19th November 2017, 08:56 PM
Hi On my Cinnamon there is no such option !

I tried: system setting, but I did not find "Details" !! There are only "System info" & "Account details". On clicking "Account details" I saw the following:

- Picture
- Name
- Password

but no "Autologin" option !

If there is such option on your system, so there should be a missed package .....

antikythera
19th November 2017, 09:33 PM
package to install is lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings. it should then be visible in control centre

if you edit that file, enter your name as it appears in terminal windows

sidebrnz
19th November 2017, 09:38 PM
I just checked, and lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings doesn't have a setting for autologin.

antikythera
19th November 2017, 09:42 PM
so editing the file is the only option then, seems a bit backward :S

@User808 - Have you tried Menu >System Tools> Administration> Login Window> Security Tab

It may not be there but it is worth a look.

User808
19th November 2017, 09:46 PM
package to install is lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings. it should then be visible in control centre

This package is installed by default & has no autologin option !

User808
19th November 2017, 09:51 PM
@User808 - Have you tried Menu >System Tools> Administration> Login Window> Security Tab

It may not be there but it is worth a look.

No such option available to me ! No "Login Window" option at all !

antikythera
19th November 2017, 10:25 PM
okay, so edit the conf file. where you enter your username, as I mentioned previously, make sure it matches what is output as yourname when you open a terminal window e.g. [yourname@hostname ~]$

korora have a decent guide (https://kororaproject.org/support/documentation/autologin-in-lightdm) but satanselbow explained it quite nicely in post #2

leigh123linux
20th November 2017, 02:07 AM

if you edit that file, enter your name as it appears in terminal windows

Cinnamon spin doesn't use lightdm-gtk so lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings will do nothing.
To configure slick-greeter you use lightdm-settings and it does have autologin setting.

User808
20th November 2017, 07:12 AM
Cinnamon spin doesn't use lightdm-gtk so lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings will do nothing.
To configure slick-greeter you use lightdm-settings and it does have autologin setting.

Hi. No, you are wrong ! Cinnamon, by default, has BOTH "light-gtk" & "light-gtk-settings" installed by default !

I tried "sudo dnf install lightdm-settings" BUT abort it because it asked me to install a dependency package called "slick-greeter" ! So, "slick-greeter" is NOT installed by default. For that I aborted the process because I 'm afraid from have 2 greeter (lightdm-gtk-greeter & slick-greeter) at same time.

Please:

1) what is the difference between "slick-greeter" & "lightdm-gtk-greeter" ?

2) can we install both "slick-greeter" & "lightdm-gtk-greeter" at same time without confliction ?

leigh123linux
20th November 2017, 08:03 AM
Hi. No, you are wrong ! Cinnamon, by default, has BOTH "light-gtk" & "light-gtk-settings" installed by default !

So you think your more of a cinnamon expert than me?

https://src.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
https://github.com/leigh123linux
https://admin.rpmfusion.org/pkgdb/packager/leigh123linux/

F26 and greater use slick-greeter

https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/c/59629bbce6028c9f2b9b83645a1305489684a7bf?branch=ma ster

As for your questions, you can google them as you such a friggin expert!

User808
20th November 2017, 08:46 AM
So you think your more of a cinnamon expert than me?

https://src.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
https://github.com/leigh123linux
https://admin.rpmfusion.org/pkgdb/packager/leigh123linux/

F26 and greater use slick-greeter

https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/c/59629bbce6028c9f2b9b83645a1305489684a7bf?branch=ma ster

As for your questions, you can google them as you such a friggin expert!

Hi. Sorry ! I did not recognize you as Cinnamon developer !

Do not be anger !

I inform you with my case as it ! What I inform you about packages on my system is the reality, do you need screenshots to believe me ? I'm no on mobile but if you need screenshot I will give you ...

Please beware that I was on Fedora 24 & upgraded by terminal tty to Fedora 26. So, does this explain packages position on my system ? If yes, then what I have to do in sequence of install & remove ? I think I have to remove lightdm-gtk & lightdm-gtk-settings & install slick-greeter & lightdm-settings , is'nt it ? If yes please give me exact sequence of this because I'm afriad from making fetal error ......

Best.

leigh123linux
20th November 2017, 08:55 AM
Update cinnamon desktop and fedora base with

sudo dnf install @cinnamon-desktop

or just cinnamon with

sudo dnf install @cinnamon

and logout for the changes to take affect.

User808
20th November 2017, 10:02 AM
Update cinnamon desktop and fedora base with

or just cinnamon with

and logout for the changes to take affect.

O.K but before proceeding I would like to know what is the dofference between 2 commands so as to take the best of them.

Many thanks for your kind support !

leigh123linux
20th November 2017, 10:18 AM
The first command will install all the packages on the cinnamon spin

Environment Group: Cinnamon Desktop
Description: Cinnamon provides a desktop with a traditional layout, advanced features, easy to use, powerful and flexible.
Mandatory Groups:
Cinnamon
Common NetworkManager Submodules
Core
Dial-up Networking Support
Fonts
Guest Desktop Agents
Hardware Support
Input Methods
Multimedia
Printing Support
Standard
base-x
Optional Groups:
3D Printing
Cloud Management Tools
LibreOffice

The second command updates cinnamon group only

Group: Cinnamon
Description: Cinnamon provides a desktop with a traditional layout, advanced features, easy to use, powerful and flexible.
Mandatory Packages:
NetworkManager-adsl
NetworkManager-bluetooth
NetworkManager-iodine-gnome
NetworkManager-l2tp-gnome
NetworkManager-libreswan-gnome
NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome
NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome
NetworkManager-pptp-gnome
NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome
NetworkManager-wifi
NetworkManager-wwan
abrt-desktop
abrt-java-connector
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
brasero
cinnamon
cinnamon-applet-blueberry
cinnamon-control-center
cinnamon-screensaver
dnfdragora-gui
f26-backgrounds-base
fedora-icon-theme
firefox
firewall-config
fros-recordmydesktop
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-calculator
gnome-disk-utility
gnome-screenshot
gnome-system-monitor
gvfs-archive
gvfs-gphoto2
gvfs-mtp
gvfs-smb
imsettings-cinnamon
initial-setup-gui
metacity
nemo-extension-xreader
nemo-fileroller
nemo-image-converter
nemo-preview
nm-connection-editor
pix
redshift-gtk
sane-backends-drivers-scanners
setroubleshoot
simple-scan
slick-greeter
system-config-printer
thunderbird
tilix
xawtv
xdg-user-dirs-gtk
xed
xplayer
xreader
xviewer

User808
20th November 2017, 11:26 AM
I perform the following command:

it add "Login Window" in system setting from which I can activate autologin by add user name.

But I have following questions:

1) regarding user name, if it started by CAP like Nokia808, then I should add it as nokia808 (start by small character not CAP) as it appear in terminal ?

2) my system still have lightdm-gtk & lightdm-gtk-settings, so no problem with them ? It seem to me that they are control other aspect of Cinnamon, arn't they ?

3) I conclude that user should perform following command after upgrading from version to next:

is this correct ? It seem if user not perform it then she/he will miss some of new features, isn't it?

leigh123linux
20th November 2017, 12:05 PM
1. whoami will identify the correct username to use

whoami

$ whoami
leigh

2. lightdm-gtk & lightdm-gtk-settings can be removed as cinnamon doesn't use them.

3. yes

User808
20th November 2017, 01:46 PM
I removed lightdm-gtk & lightdm-gtk-setting without problem.

I have few further questions:

1) I tried to run:

but output was: group @cinnamon already installed ! Dependencies resolved ! Nothing to do !

So, does this mean that defect was only lie in Cinnamon packages while other packages are O.K & no further new features missed ?

2) the following application I do not used them & already removed them but after updating Cinnamon they return:

- xplayer (previously document viewer)
- simple scan
- xplayer (previously parole as I remember)

No problem at all. I decided to remove them. I removed simple scan & xplayer without problem. But xreader need your help because I'm afraid that it is effected by the following very dangerous bug that created by me:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1486749

The bug is fixed but still not reach us:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/pull/325

Regarding xreader: the output of "sudo dnf remove xreader" is:

Dependencies resolved.
================================================== ==============================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ==============================
Removing:
xreader x86_64 1.6.0-1.fc26 @updates 4.8 M
Removing dependent packages:
nemo-extension-xreader x86_64 1.6.0-1.fc26 @updates 23 k
nemo-preview x86_64 3.6.0-1.fc26 @updates 303 k
Removing unused dependencies:
texlive-lib x86_64 6:2016-33.20160520.fc26.1 @fedora 934 k

Transaction Summary
Remove 4 Packages

Freed space: 6.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]: N
Operation aborted.

My question is about what I put in RED COLOR: is it O.K to remove these 2 packages )dependent packages) or it is involvement in this bug ? Please noticed that I'm still like to use xviewer (image viewer) & Pix .....

3) if I like to make autologin enabled for more than one user like Nokia808 & Nokia909 then when I enter both user names in field then I should enter them as:

nokia808, nokia909

or as

nokia808 , nokia909

look for spaces before & after coma.

User808
20th November 2017, 07:24 PM
I like to mark this thread as "Solved", but when I click on "Thread tools" no such option available ! Please how can I mark thread as solved in new version of forum ?

antikythera
20th November 2017, 07:35 PM
you can't yet but we can, that function will be added back very soon hopefully

User808
20th November 2017, 07:48 PM
Thank you !