PDA

View Full Version : Do gdesklets work with Fedora 27?

parkhensley
18th November 2017, 02:17 AM
Do gdesklets work with Fedora 27? Tried to get gdesklets from Software Manager, but it won't install. Screen says "failed to load image" and Launch button does not do anything.

antikythera
18th November 2017, 10:22 AM
try switching to a Xorg session instead of wayland using the cog next to your name on the login screen

parkhensley
18th November 2017, 07:05 PM
try switching to a Xorg session instead of wayland using the cog next to your name on the login screen

I logged in as you suggested, then uninstalled previous version of gdesklets and reinstalled. Tried to run gdesklets from desktop and nothing happens. Tried to run from Terminal and got this error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gdesklets", line 3, in <module> from main import client, DISPLAY, HOME, USERHOME
File "/usr/lib64/gdesklets/main/_init_.py", line 3, in <module> import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

parkhensley
11th January 2018, 05:52 PM
Have logged in with GNOME on XORG. From a troubleshooting tip, I tried to run gdesklets from the terminal to see what errors would come up. The first error was that it couldn't find python, so did dnf install python. tried to run again and this time the error is "no module named gtk". Tried to install gtk and got "unable to find a match" error. Another place said to install gtk3, did so, and it is installed, but gdesklets still wants gtk. What to do?

leigh123linux
12th January 2018, 01:34 AM
I logged in as you suggested, then uninstalled previous version of gdesklets and reinstalled. Tried to run gdesklets from desktop and nothing happens. Tried to run from Terminal and got this error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gdesklets", line 3, in <module> from main import client, DISPLAY, HOME, USERHOME
File "/usr/lib64/gdesklets/main/_init_.py", line 3, in <module> import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

Try installing pygtk2 to see if it fixes the 'No module named gtk' import error

parkhensley
12th January 2018, 02:36 AM
Have logged in with GNOME on XORG. From a troubleshooting tip, I tried to run gdesklets from the terminal to see what errors would come up. The first error was that it couldn't find python, so did dnf install python. tried to run again and this time the error is "no module named gtk". Tried to install gtk and got "unable to find a match" error. Another place said to install gtk3, did so, and it is installed, but gdesklets still wants gtk. What to do?

leigh123linux
12th January 2018, 07:59 AM
gdesklets packaging missed the python2 and pygtk2 requirements.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/gdesklets.git/commit/?h=f27&id=ca4fa08cafade29af325afe6817850a652d67f8a

It isn't my package but I decided to fix it and push it to updates-testing (might take a while to appear in the repos).

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-ac448c46bb

Or get it early at koji

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1016492