View Full Version : Firefox/AdBlock+ and black videos

16th November 2017, 02:36 PM
For some obscure problem, AdBlock on Firefox on Fedora causes some Youtube videos to show as pure black.

The good thing is it can be fixed (but it needs to be done every time it happens).
When this happens
1) go into Firefox->Tools-Add-ons
2) disable the Ad Blocker Plus
3) Play a few seconds of the video in another window (will now work) seeing some of the ad
4) You may NOW kill the video and re-enable the Ad Blocker
6) your original video (without ads) will now WORK

This will work until you restart Firefox (perhaps until you restart your whole fedora session - not sure)

The pain is that you need to do this once every time you see the problem, but it will fix the problem as long as firefox is up.

16th November 2017, 02:42 PM
Can you try ublock origin and see if you see the same issue. I am trying to think whether this is an adblock issue or a firefox one.

16th November 2017, 03:05 PM
Please explain what you mean by "ublock origin".

16th November 2017, 03:20 PM
Please explain what you mean by "ublock origin".

It's an alternative to Adblock+ addon. This add-on is also available in Firefox add-on store(?).

16th November 2017, 03:20 PM
Moved to "Using Fedora" temporarily.

16th November 2017, 03:31 PM
I second that recommendation for using uBlock Origin instead, I used to use Adblock Plus but migrated a while back and find uBlock's options easier to use even though there are more of them available.

17th November 2017, 08:45 AM
I'm on firefox-57.0-2.fc27.x86_64 but I can't install uBlock Origin. The addons tab says its downloaded, but when I click on the install button, it fails to do anything. I downloaded the file: uBlock0.firefox.xpi and tried to install that by pressing the "install from file" button, but got the message that it was unverified. Is there a way of getting over this problem? How can I install uBlock Origin?

17th November 2017, 11:15 AM
It should work on Firefox-57 and up. I just did a search in addons, clicked install and it installed. I wonder if something's amiss with your firefox installation?

It might be worth trying as a test user and seeing if that user has the same problem.

17th November 2017, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. No luck with test user. It's the same failure to install uBlock Origin on two computers here, both lxde, from the same installation dvd. I tried adding some code suggested here https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/, but no luck. I removed the .mozilla files and they regenerated on a new opening of firefox, but that didn't help either. Stuck with this, but still trying.

New stuff: I find I can't add any extensions at all, so there does seem to be something fundamentally wrong with the firefox on my systems.

17th November 2017, 01:47 PM
I was going to suggest removing .mozilla, but didn't know how much you had in there already. (Bookmarks, passwords, and so on).
Yeah, something seems odd. My install is choosing workstation boot, then minimal, and adding stuff, but I can't think of what LXDE would add that would cause a problem with ublock orig. Any chance of making say, a VirtualBox with a different desktop and seeing if the problem is there too? Was this done from the LXDE spin?

I tried running the live LXDE spin in VirtualBox and installed firefox, then added ublock orig with no problem, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe things added before trying to install it?

18th November 2017, 12:58 AM
Thanks again ... good to get ideas. I have now used at least half-a-dozen different proposals around changing variables in about:config, and also installed the firefox-57 tarball after removing fedora's version and performed a bunch of trials to get it to install add ons. All failed, so I have looked to other measures to stop the ads and have settled on using the /etc/hosts file to stop the ad sites from loading onto the computer. I've used the MVPS hosts file as a template which is pretty long, but I'm going to see how far it goes in keeping the ads at bay.

18th November 2017, 04:21 AM
Basically YouTube is constantly changing their coding to break adblockers. I believe this because ive also seen many
Sites where having the adblocker on causes the disqus comments to not show. Then in the site they'll actually state that if you can't see comments you must turn off adblocking.
In many cases this happened to me on sites where the comments worked fine with adblocker just a month or two before

18th November 2017, 05:47 AM
That's good to know. I've just viewed some youtube videos with my new /etc/hosts file that knocks out so many addresses of ad producing sites, and I don't get the ads. Instead, and only on some videos, there's a message saying something like "firefox cannot connect with google-ad-maker ... the site may be too busy". This form of ad blocking at least, doesn't seem like it's detected so well.