View Full Version : [SOLVED] No KDE session following upgrade to F27

15th November 2017, 11:19 AM
After a seemingly successful upgrade from F26 to F27 using dnf system upgrade, my display manager (sddm) presents no option to log into a kde session. I also have Mate as an alternative DE and this works fine.

I've tried launching a kde session from tty2 but with no success as I haven't configured xinitrc or anything suchlike. The startx command from tty2 results in an error.

I've scanned my journalctl logs but can't find any particular errors other than a reference to pam.

I'm using the rmpfusion nvidia kernel module incidentally.

Any thoughts as to how I can restore a kde session would be much appreciated.

15th November 2017, 04:40 PM
Sorted! Despite having used KDE as my default desktop all through F26 and doing a dnf system upgrade, I tried a group uninstall and found that dnf didn't recognise plasma as being installed. A dnf group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" resulted in another 60 odd packages being installed and a fully functioning system.

Slightly bizarre. I thought the object of a dnf system upgrade was to do just that.

19th November 2017, 03:14 AM
Had similar problem with fc26 upgrade yesterday. reinstalled kdm. kde activities (as this was report as last problem) so downgrade it and kwin. rebooted fine next boot Seems the last update has a few bugs with xrender and wayland.