PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement possibility: Personalized forum themes

Ted Lyngmo
14th November 2017, 11:23 PM
Hi!

The forum upgrade looks very nice but I personally find it a little hard to instantly find some of the the text boxes (with a thin very light gray frame around on a white background). If I could, I'd change to a theme with a darker gray frame.

The same goes for the text in the forum texts. I'd go for a much darker default font. My eyesight is perhaps not the best and I feel I need to concentrate much harder when reading the texts in the new forum. I've manually made this post maximum black which I find much easier to read compared to the other post that are using the default color.

While I'm at it - it would also be great to be able to select the default font for reading messages. :)

Br,
Ted

antikythera
15th November 2017, 12:17 AM
not a bad idea if possible, a choice of light, dark and high-contrast?

Ted Lyngmo
15th November 2017, 04:32 PM
not a bad idea if possible, a choice of light, dark and high-contrast?

Yeah, perhaps something like that. It's hard to predict exactly what people prefer so the more choices the better. Some may even want one setting at night when reading in bed (perhaps dark background and lighter text) and the opposite during the day.

lsatenstein
15th November 2017, 04:39 PM
Ted, I am at that age where I need good contrast for text. I have to third your request. I also think that you might be able to tweak your monitor settings. My ASUS monitor has some preset intensities, which they title "Splendid", I chose the one that best suits my vision as I have problems in subdued lighting with red letters on a brown background.

Ted Lyngmo
15th November 2017, 09:32 PM
True, I could adjust things on my side, but my monitor is already at optimal settings for just about everything else but browsing the fedora forums :)

antikythera
16th November 2017, 09:44 AM
True, I could adjust things on my side, but my monitor is already at optimal settings for just about everything else but browsing the fedora forums :)

same here, mine is properly calibrated so I know it isn't the monitor at fault. plus, the same applies regardless of which screen I use. What you can do however, is use stylish (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/) which is also available from chromium based browsers. it allows you to tweak the appearance of websites

EDIT: this style (https://userstyles.org/styles/45663/global-pseudo-brightness-control) really helps, set transparency to alter brightness to your own preference, it's easy to change. values of 0.05 (using it now myself) up to a maximum of 0.1 seems better than default 0.2 for this forum

Ted Lyngmo
16th November 2017, 05:24 PM
Nice, but I still don't think that installing an add-on everywhere (I can't easily count the number of browsers I use) is the best solution.

I'd really love to see something like:

Please select the default color for reading posts:

* The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog