PDA

View Full Version : VB4 Upgrade feedback

antikythera
12th November 2017, 11:55 AM
Hi, nice work so far it looks and scales much better than the old layout so is infinitely easier to read. Please if you can change the menu bar text colour to black as it's currently only visible when you hover the cursor over it which applies a blue highlight around the options. The only reason I noticed something was there was because of the 3 sub-menu icons

bob
12th November 2017, 12:03 PM
Mike, good point. Question: Can you move your post/thread up to where Simon's asked for feedback? (Forum Upgrade). The mod tools are a bit different and I don't want to chance losing your post.

antikythera
12th November 2017, 12:07 PM
found the necessary tool and done :)

next to thread tools there's an administrative menu bob

swakefield
12th November 2017, 12:13 PM
Hi, nice work so far it looks and scales much better than the old layout so is infinitely easier to read. Please if you can change the menu bar text colour to black as it's currently only visible when you hover the cursor over it which applies a blue highlight around the options. The only reason I noticed something was there was because of the 3 sub-menu icons

That's an issue I'm aware of, the colour is set correctly its just not showing it as the height is too low and I haven't been able to find where that value is actually defined yet

antikythera
12th November 2017, 12:32 PM
Thanks, the change you just made is much better

ocratato
12th November 2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks, the change you just made is much better
Until you mouse over it - then its black on dark blue which is a bit hard to read.

Update: OK its now silver text - better.

ocratato
12th November 2017, 12:42 PM
Did we lose the "My Posts" and "My Threads" links ?
I found them to be quite useful.

swakefield
12th November 2017, 01:01 PM
Did we lose the "My Posts" and "My Threads" links ?
I found them to be quite useful.

That was done by a plugin. I haven't been able to find a vbulletin4 version of it so I may have to rewrite it from scratch and as its not critical thats something thats going to need to wait for a bit

nonamedotc
12th November 2017, 01:46 PM
Just noticed something.

We need to change the big blue text "Fedora" to Fedoraforum. We would probably be violating Fedora's trademark by plastering it on there. Also, this is FF website and not Fedora.

antikythera
12th November 2017, 01:47 PM
Under thread tools we seem to be missing 'Mark as solved'.

swakefield
12th November 2017, 02:31 PM
Under thread tools we seem to be missing 'Mark as solved'.

That was also a plugin and will come back online soon

antikythera
12th November 2017, 02:31 PM

better? the font could be a bit bolder, I'll make a couple of different versions. It's the RHEL sponsored Overpass typeface and I just recreated the magnifying glass over fedora logo from the old forum banner

see how these scale, I think the first is too light a font

lsatenstein
12th November 2017, 05:03 PM
If it becomes an easy task, can we treat topics with a check-box [] to indicate viewed? With yesterday's version, I had the equivalent of 100 topics that were posted, and of which only a few were of interest to me.

Currently, I use the option, "mark all forums viewed" to clear 100 messages. If you cannot provide a checkbox by (new) topic, can you please see if an individual forum could be marked as viewed.

lsatenstein
12th November 2017, 05:06 PM
Is it possible for the user to have an option to return to the "new posts" or to the first post in the response list, after the user responds to a topic?

topiwala
12th November 2017, 06:54 PM
The color based differentiation of quoted text, normal text and user details is not there. It was very useful. Now reading all feels the same. When reading a users comment, the box to focus on while reading and box containing users name etc can be differentiated by color specially keeping the reading text box lighter coloured.

lsatenstein
12th November 2017, 06:58 PM
Hi topiwala
Click on Forum actions
then review the entries.
I setup wysiwyg as my default

solo2101
12th November 2017, 07:22 PM
In the main page, under "latest forum post", it would be nice if you can visually differentiate where one thread ends and another one begins.

antikythera
12th November 2017, 08:36 PM
what browser is that in solo? something clearly on an android device

Finalzone
12th November 2017, 09:22 PM
Hi anitkythera,
Here is an alternative logo .

marko
12th November 2017, 10:10 PM
The big improvement I'm seeing is I can use the forum much better from my android phone, I didn't like tapatalk and uninstalled that from my phone. So is there any reason to even use tapatalk instead of just the forum directly in Firefox?
Before I had to squint to see the text in firefox and/or zoom way in, now with V4 the posts are easily visible and apparently you can't even zoom in/out in android.

Is there a list of advantages to V4 to look at?

antikythera
12th November 2017, 11:59 PM
The big improvement I'm seeing is I can use the forum much better from my android phone, I didn't like tapatalk and uninstalled that from my phone. So is there any reason to even use tapatalk instead of just the forum directly in Firefox?
Before I had to squint to see the text in firefox and/or zoom way in, now with V4 the posts are easily visible and apparently you can't even zoom in/out in android.

Is there a list of advantages to V4 to look at?

Yes I agree it's time to ditch Tapatalk. The new layout definitely scales much better on my android devices. I guess a list could be compiled from a user point of view here on the forum.

solo2101
13th November 2017, 03:11 AM
what browser is that in solo? something clearly on an android device

It's Googol Chrome.

topiwala
13th November 2017, 04:54 AM
I setup wysiwyg as my default

that is not i meant. I mean when reading the forum background color should help focus on content.

ocratato
13th November 2017, 06:20 AM
OK, I think I've given this enough time. I try not to comment on new designs immediately as I would be comparing unfamiliar new with familiar old.

My first impression is that the content is too sparse. At least half of the window is just empty white space.

I grabbed the edge of Firefox's window and halved the width of the window. The result then looked much more reasonable. From this I conclude the new design has been optimised for tablets and phones.

The Quick Reply window only shows 5 lines, which is like writing through a key hole.

RupertPupkin
13th November 2017, 07:07 AM
The color based differentiation of quoted text, normal text and user details is not there. It was very useful. Now reading all feels the same.
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's all one big white-ish blur now. And for those of us using Firefox there are just insane amounts of empty wasted space.

Maybe there are some other, behind-the-scenes, advantages of the new vBulletin version. But the new user interface ain't one of them. Is there at least the option of choosing a personal theme that resembles the old interface?

So far I'm giving this "upgrade" a big thumbs down.

marko
13th November 2017, 07:36 AM
Remember they barely have it all installed, they have just the basic default configuration, I suspect the plugins that go in later will optimize stuff like screen formatting.

topiwala
13th November 2017, 07:44 AM

I liked the old look and feel. But i think it is a matter of theming and probably can be addressed by mods. The fonts for signatures and coloring adjustments will help a lot.

antikythera
13th November 2017, 09:24 AM
The spam reporting service isn't working. I've removed the offending post and banned the user anyhow.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (https://forums.fedoraforum.org/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

FedoraForum.org

bob
13th November 2017, 11:26 AM
The automatic reporting boxes have also been removed in vBulletin so reporting to StopForumSpam must be done manually. 29157 To do that, you'll need to provide username, email address, IP address and our code: . The automatic reporting boxes were located in the void below the profile fields.

antikythera
13th November 2017, 12:06 PM
please remove the calendar link from the menu bar if it is going to remain disabled.

smr54
13th November 2017, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I suspect this is for smart phone and tablet users. These days, that might be the majority for all I know.

Also, while posting this, it somehow pasted in something I'd just read on wikipedia, though whether that's a fault of the software., I don't know.

antikythera
13th November 2017, 01:35 PM
please post full screenshots of wasted white space. I don't see any on any of my devices but clearly it's an issue for some users here. so maybe scalability of the template for 3K and over displays needs looking at? as for the paste issue, that's really bizarre

antikythera
13th November 2017, 01:37 PM
I liked the old look and feel. But i think it is a matter of theming and probably can be addressed by mods. The fonts for signatures and coloring adjustments will help a lot.

we can't address template issues ourselves at present. we've been instructed to leave it to the team migrating the forum. @swakefield is monitoring this thread and will take your feedback into account

ocratato
13th November 2017, 01:55 PM
please post full screenshots of wasted white space. I don't see any on any of my devices but clearly it's an issue for some users here. so maybe scalability of the template for 3K and over displays needs looking at? as for the paste issue, that's really bizarre

This a screen shot from this thread.

Its 1366x768 Gnome classic on Scientific Linux 7.3

bob
13th November 2017, 06:29 PM
Well, one thing we do have to address is the logo that's in violation of Fedora Project's copyright. The name's got to be changed from Fedora to FedoraForum. I've PM'd Simon with the problem and location of some suitable options to consider. Tried to copy from the Staff Lounge thread on "New VB4 Layout - where to find Mod and Admin tools" but due to viewing restrictions, can't do it directly. Simon, please have a look. This one's from Finalzone and seems to be a good choice. 29171

Edit: Simon, just got an email from Kelvin so I know you're on top of the issue. Yeah, some of the wording over at the Project is misleading, however we need to avoid a problem now that we've been notified. WELL! Look up there! It's done and looking good! Thanks so much.

swakefield
13th November 2017, 07:36 PM
This a screen shot from this thread.

Its 1366x768 Gnome classic on Scientific Linux 7.3

Is it better now or do people feel its too compact now?

smr54
13th November 2017, 08:06 PM
Seems about the same to me, google-chrome or firefox 1920x1080 27" monitor. But, possibly a bit better.

solo2101
13th November 2017, 08:39 PM
I'm loving the compact layout. Looks really nice in Mobile platform

antikythera
13th November 2017, 08:43 PM
thanks for sorting the logo issue. regarding white space, it seemed okay to me anyhow and still does. perhaps the background fill colour of the post header where user information is displayed and the quote boxes could be a shade darker so they are easier to distinguish. apart from that it's fine.

User808
13th November 2017, 08:53 PM
Hi. Regarding new changes to forum, I have the following impressions:

A) about mobile appearance of forum:

1) Forum become BAD when viewed by mobile ! Before changes I was able to view title of thread which has last activity in each section of forum without entering of that section. This is not existing after new changes. For example:

Before changes, when I just look on section "Privacy & security" - without entering it -, I was able to see title of last thread which has last activity. No, after changes, not !

2) before changes, when I was entering to a specific section, say "Privacy & security", I was able to see number of views, number of replies & name of last member who post, in-front of title of each thread. But after changes, this not possible any more ! To view these data you need to enter to thread itself !

Over all, it seem to me that new changes are downgrade not upgrade to mobile view !

B) about theme in general (PC & mobile views):

New theme is TOO white !! The % of white color is too much ! This make forum too transparent to viewer ! Make more element in darker color (like gray color) will make forum MORE SHARP .....

Best.

User808
13th November 2017, 09:00 PM
Other note: at upper right corner of forum (not of thread), my user name appear as USER808 while it should appeared as User808 !

antikythera
13th November 2017, 09:06 PM
it's the font used, everyone's name is capitalised. this is not a bug

bob
13th November 2017, 10:01 PM
I noticed that Fedora Set-Up Guides, Ask Fedora and Fedora Project drop-down links have been removed. Can those be restored, as they were helpful to new users setting up Fedora?

Edit: I noticed that Fedora Set-Up Guides is incompatible with vB4 at the moment. If that's a problem, I guess we can "stick" a Guide with it's contents. Edit: That's what I've done for now.

antikythera
13th November 2017, 10:19 PM
the wording in the yellow box before users sign in needs revising please.

on the home page there is no FAQ link above. the register button now says 'Sign up' and you do have to register to post. So I propose the following instead:

If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ (https://forums.fedoraforum.org/faq.php). You also need to sign up (https://forums.fedoraforum.org/register.php) and agree to adhere to the forum posting rules and guidelines (https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?316098-Posting-Rules-FedoraForum-org-Rules-amp-Guidelines) before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

swakefield
13th November 2017, 11:18 PM

Would that colouring be better for people?

swakefield
13th November 2017, 11:34 PM
Maybe actually use the base colours that are the official Fedora Linux blues either with the bar in the lighter blue and background darker or vice versa like these

swakefield
13th November 2017, 11:39 PM
And here are a thread mockup with both headers still grey (as the background breaks the light colours up) or with the blue headers

antikythera
13th November 2017, 11:49 PM
official colours blue looks good. can I suggest something though? could you try the following blue colour codes for the user information frame #b2d3e6 and for quotes #d8e9f3 or vice versa.

swakefield
14th November 2017, 12:18 AM
official colours blue looks good. can I suggest something though? could you try the following blue colour codes for the user information frame #b2d3e6 and for quotes #d8e9f3 or vice versa.

By user infomation frame you mean what exactly?The part with your username, rank, post count ect in (Called the postbit if thats what you mean)

ocratato
14th November 2017, 12:30 AM
Would that colouring be better for people?
Colours are good for defining boundaries and regions, but please keep them gentle pastel colours. Strong lines like your example actually leaves an after image in my eyes, which is annoying.

bob
14th November 2017, 12:34 AM
Also noted that our Posting Rules are gone. Going to need them; maybe I can copy/paste into another section.

antikythera
14th November 2017, 12:37 AM
By user infomation frame you mean what exactly?The part with your username, rank, post count ect in (Called the postbit if thats what you mean)

Yes, sorry I didn't know the exact name for it. The grey is too faint so a pastel blue would stand out a bit more

swakefield
14th November 2017, 12:55 AM
Yes, sorry I didn't know the exact name for it. The grey is too faint so a pastel blue would stand out a bit more

I'll mock it up tomorrow but I'm not sure either of those shades will really work

solo2101
14th November 2017, 01:01 AM
And here are a thread mockup with both headers still grey (as the background breaks the light colours up) or with the blue headers

I learned that gray is a good complementary color, never a primary. If you take the Offcialcolours_blue and use some light gray in the user details, it will complement it very nicely.

justinacolmena
14th November 2017, 04:16 AM
I cannot view a list of all my own posts, only threads I've started

ocratato
14th November 2017, 04:27 AM
Just searched for "ocratato" in the top search bar.
It returned just one result. This seems a bit on the low side for someone with over 2600 posts.

RupertPupkin
14th November 2017, 05:44 AM
The blue headers (picture on the right) definitely look better and make it easier to distinguish posts.

ocratato
14th November 2017, 05:46 AM
I cannot view a list of all my own posts, only threads I've started

That would be nice - how did you do it ?

topiwala
14th November 2017, 07:29 AM

Having a coloured user header is good. The colour must not be too dark or bright. The post bit too have a similar colour but lighter shade. Also signature can be made less prominent with smaller fonts.

antikythera
14th November 2017, 09:20 AM
That would be nice - how did you do it ?

click on the search icon at the top right to open advanced search. click on the single type tab and setup these options. it returns 75 threads. I'm sure you may have opened more but it's a bit better than 4 or 5 posts. Maybe the site will re-index in time or as with most plugins it isn't quite fully functional yet.

ocratato
14th November 2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks. That works.
I had tried Advanced Search but must have selected the wrong option at the top - something about single or multiple.

antikythera
15th November 2017, 09:43 AM
probably yet another firefox issue but the minimise arrows on the forum sections aren't aligning correctly29181

ve9cbc
15th November 2017, 12:11 PM
A wonderful upgrade from the last one; very clean and easy to read! Nice upgrade over all. Hope this theme stays. :thumb:

nonamedotc
15th November 2017, 02:25 PM
probably yet another firefox issue but the minimise arrows on the forum sections aren't aligning correctly

Not really. I see the same thing on Chrome on Windows 7. Just hadn't noticed it till I saw your screenshot. So, I guess, it's a general issue.

lsatenstein
15th November 2017, 04:48 PM
Reply to #12 I like the third one the best. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29167&d=1510495792

User808
18th November 2017, 01:41 PM
Hi. Please give attention to mobile view for new forum ! It is, currently, bad ! Before upgrade it was O.K !

Please notice that Tapatalk application is NOT ALLOWED FOR MANY COUNTRY ! Iraq one of these countries where Google play not allowed this application ! It was allowed before few months (about 2 -3) but recently it is not ! It seem that they added paid services so that application blocked from Iraq !

Any alternative BUT SECURE please !

No thing better from making direct web view on mobile good by default !

antikythera
18th November 2017, 02:12 PM
what is specifically wrong with the view from your device? please post a screenshot so we can understand what you mean better. Tapatalk is a load of garbage these days anyhow so you aren't missing anything there.

swakefield
18th November 2017, 02:32 PM
what is specifically wrong with the view from your device? please post a screenshot so we can understand what you mean better. Tapatalk is a load of garbage these days anyhow so you aren't missing anything there.

I was about to ask the same as it looks and works a million times better than the vb3 one imho

nonamedotc
18th November 2017, 02:48 PM
I was about to ask the same as it looks and works a million times better than the vb3 one imho

Completely agree. Are there small alignment issues? Yes. But, VB4 scales really well for mobile. Without screenshot, it would be impossible to say what's wrong IMO.

User808
18th November 2017, 06:01 PM

Hi. Please open attached screenshots: before upgrade - with same screenshots positions - I was able to see title of thread that has last activity in each section without need to open that section. For example I was able to see title of thread that has last activity in section "Using Fedora" without need to open this section.

Now, after upgrade, as you see in screenshot, nothing appear per each forum section ! User need to open every section, section by section ! This is bad. I was before upgrade able to follow up forum easily, no not !

I suggest to give option "Show Desktop version" or fix mobile view ! Even in landscape view no titles !!

antikythera
18th November 2017, 10:27 PM
i see what you mean. tap on 'What's New?' and you will get an activity stream with summaries of all new posts and which section they are in. I guess that is the new method. VB4 is a completely different platform to VB3 we had previously. there was no mobile view before, just a heavily compressed web page that needed zooming into.

you can also request the desktop version from most popular android browsers.
29196 29197

lsatenstein
20th November 2017, 01:27 AM
When writing ( ) or braces or curly brackets,on a normal monitor it difficult to distinguish between them. For me its only those three pairs of characters.

antikythera
20th November 2017, 08:37 AM
i see what you mean. tap on 'What's New?' and you will get an activity stream with summaries of all new posts and which section they are in. I guess that is the new method. VB4 is a completely different platform to VB3 we had previously. there was no mobile view before, just a heavily compressed web page that needed zooming into.

you can also request the desktop version from most popular android browsers.
29196 29197

Please do something about attached image quality. They are far too compressed at the moment and should be retained at full resolution up to a certain size in KB regardless of resolution. Album uploads are fine still but attaching images to a post isn't really worth bothering with when text is involved.

antikythera
20th November 2017, 12:45 PM
Just noticed the latest feature added - a forum style quick chooser at the bottom of the page (can also be set in the user profile settings). very handy.

lsatenstein
24th November 2017, 10:45 PM
It would be nice if after opening a new post, the line "View first unread!" would begin slightly indented from the left margin. Most annoying to have to slide over to the right. I suppose that line was accidently clicked "Right justify".

antikythera
25th November 2017, 12:01 AM
29225 the red down arrow pictured will also take you to view the first unread post in a thread

smr54
25th November 2017, 12:35 AM
Cool, I didn't know that, thank you.

lsatenstein
30th November 2017, 03:37 AM
29225 the red down arrow pictured will also take you to view the first unread post in a thread

I dont have a red button or red down-arrow, only the text to the right which is clickable. You may have some features as an admin, that we end-users don't have.

antikythera
30th November 2017, 03:12 PM
possibly, or you have a script blocker which prevents the red down arrow from appearing

jdamon
1st December 2017, 04:08 PM
Hello..umm , how do we like a post, thanks or something like that ..so we dont have to make a new post for liking a post or agree

bob
1st December 2017, 07:01 PM
You say: "I like that post, thanks and I agree". This ain't facebook. :D

jdamon
2nd December 2017, 06:44 AM
You say: "I like that post, thanks and I agree". This ain't facebook. :D

:D:D:D .. Bob, Of Course this isn't Fb ..what i mean is Forum reputation system

bob
2nd December 2017, 08:17 AM
Jdamon, back in 2004-05 we tried that system and ended up getting a deluge of complaints from posters who were panned for less-than-perfect posts, explaining why they were right and begging us to give them their points back. PITA for the Staff, so we dumped it.