PDA

View Full Version : Firefox NEVER restores his session after reboot, please why?

horizonbrave
11th November 2017, 03:24 AM
In the last 12 months, I installed Fedora (and other distros sometimes) like 50ish times!
Everytime I configure Firefox to "Show your windows and tabs from last time" but every single time I restart the machine and start Firefox I get the error message "Sorry. We’re having trouble getting your pages back. We are having trouble restoring your last browsing session. Select Restore Session to try again.".
Of course if I need to restart or power off my machine it never crosses my mind (and it never should) to close Firefox first.
So?
Thanks for any help, happy to move to Chrome in case :)

lsatenstein
11th November 2017, 03:33 AM
The last time is not the time that you powered off or rebooted, while Firefox was running. It is the following:

For the sessions you have open, if you click on the x to quit Firefox with it's open sessions, then on restarting Firefox, those sessions wll be restored.

horizonbrave
11th November 2017, 08:42 AM
should fedora than exit Firefox properly (as any other app) when hitting restart/power off?
what's wrong?
Cheers :)

antikythera
11th November 2017, 06:42 PM
possibly an immediate termination of the firefox process (like killing it from the system monitor running tasks tab) which means firefox doesn't know to save your open tabs the same way as if you actually closed it properly.

horizonbrave
13th November 2017, 04:56 AM
possibly an immediate termination of the firefox process (like killing it from the system monitor running tasks tab) which means firefox doesn't know to save your open tabs the same way as if you actually closed it properly.

I'm just restarting/powering off the system by using the Gnome button on the top right corner of the screen.. I start using Fedora since the 23 version, is that possible that the system can manage to exit an application? Cheers

antikythera
13th November 2017, 09:31 AM
well yes, it can terminate a running process or service. maybe using hibernate would be the better option if you've set your system up to be able to do so

bbfuller
13th November 2017, 09:45 AM
Interesting, I've just checked Firefox on my F26 using KDE and it restores perfectly using KDE's session restore. Once it has restored to the desktop all of its previous tabs are restored. That's using KDE's shutdown buttons and not doing anything with Firefox other than having it set to "restore tabs".

Might give you some idea where the anomaly lies.

Just for comparison, my Vivaldi browser will restore all tabs but KDE doesn't manage to put it back on the desktop, it has to be restarted manually.

antikythera
13th November 2017, 09:59 AM
KDE is seemingly much better in that respect, I've noticed the same with KDE more by mistake of not bothering to close an application before shutting down

oystercatcher
19th November 2017, 01:28 AM
Occasionally I will get a firefox screen that says oops or something like that but it will list all the previous
tabs as checked. If I dont need them uncheck. Yeah had a lot of gnome crashes in fc26 so fc27 was yesterday.

horizonbrave
20th November 2017, 02:55 AM
well yes, it can terminate a running process or service. maybe using hibernate would be the better option if you've set your system up to be able to do so

Why should I hibernate when I want to shut it off?! :)

horizonbrave
20th November 2017, 02:58 AM
Occasionally I will get a firefox screen that says oops or something like that but it will list all the previous
tabs as checked. If I dont need them uncheck. Yeah had a lot of gnome crashes in fc26 so fc27 was yesterday.

No Crashes, I just get the "Oops" screen (the warning has been actually reworded) all the time.. I just wish the session (all of my open tabs/windows) would be automatically restored without being asked all the times. Maybe I'm asking too much :)

lsatenstein
21st November 2017, 09:37 PM
A feature in Firefox v57 is a configuration option to always restore the last sessions you had open, even after a deliberate shutdown.
I tried it for a few days and didn't like it. I referred to FF opening my two home sites, which are Fedora Magazine and Planet Fedora.

Cind1985
22nd November 2017, 12:41 PM
Actually it does, for example if i force shoot dowm my c now my firefox will restore the old pages! at least my browser. i have no idea why you have that problem sorry can't help. it is a very useful stuff. my PC got power off but i was browsing meds on https://onlinepharmacyreviews.org and similar sites. if there wouldn't be restoration i would have lost the information.

lsatenstein
23rd November 2017, 04:16 AM
Use the firefox configuration Edit»»Preferences Click on GENERAL and then (o) Show your windows and tabs from last time

horizonbrave
23rd November 2017, 06:09 AM
Actually it does, for example if i force shoot dowm my c now my firefox will restore the old pages!

Are you serious?! Would it restore those pages without asking a confirmation first??? I'd love that, but didn't happen in years :(

horizonbrave
23rd November 2017, 06:10 AM
Use the firefox configuration Edit»»Preferences Click on GENERAL and then (o) Show your windows and tabs from last time

As I said in my original post that's the first setting I enable in my installations!