PDA

View Full Version : I removed "OpenSSL" accidentally and messed the XWindow !

Eduar
10th November 2017, 05:51 PM
Hi. My intention was to remove "openssl-devel" but accidentally did:
"sudo dnf remove openssl" instead.

Once I did that the X Server shutted down and many weird characters appeared on screen. I could reboot using the SysRq keys and after that I realised that many packages where removed as dependencies of OpenSSL (including Chrome!).

Now when I log-in I get a message saying: "can't open display". Even though I reinstalled OpenSSL I always get that message and I can only start de X Window by "startx".

I'm not really sure how can I track down what happened, I only understand that removing "OpenSSL" removed many packages and messed everything up.

I wonder if the only way to fix this is reinstalling...

Any help will be aprettiated!

Edu

smr54
10th November 2017, 06:57 PM
If you can boot to a console (text mode) you can try using

sudo dnf history

This should show the dnf operation where you removed all this stuff with a number in front of it. Then, you can try dnf undo <number>

Although with SSL removing a bunch of dependencies, I'm not sure if this will work, it may have removed some things necessary for it.

When you get can't open display do you at least get to a command prompt?

Eduar
10th November 2017, 08:08 PM
Hi smr54, yes I do. I actually re-installed SSL and the xorg packages and now after I login, besides I still get a "can't open display" message, I can enter de X Window by "startx". But I seem to have lost some of the session settings I had.

smr54
10th November 2017, 09:35 PM
Well, glad you got it at least partially back. Personally, I prefer to boot into text mode and type startx.

You might have some luck with the dnf history undo, but at this point, probably not.

As for lost session settings, probably something or another got removed and put back and may have taken its custom config with it, but I am just guessing.