View Full Version : KDE Plasma randomly failing on start

10th November 2017, 04:14 PM
got some weird problem for some time now and I can't find out what's the cause, so maybe someone can give me some hint:
When I start my Fedora 26, I either get a fully functional KDE desktop or plasma won't load, which means the bootscreen takes longer, then screen is black, but Cairo Dock and Yakuake load correctly and I can use them, open programs and also the mouse pointer works well. To me this happens randomly, at least I haven't found any conclusion why this happens or not. The problem persists since Fedora 25, I hoped it is a bug, that is fixed in 26, but it isn't. When it happens, I can reboot the computer or log out and in again with a chance, that it works correctly after that, or I can start plasma manually by running:

kstart plasmashell
Then Plasmashell starts and all works fine in most cases, but there's one error message:

kstart(1992) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended I understand what it says, but I didn't give any argument with the command, so it must be in some configuration file and I don't know where. Besides I doubt it is the cause of this problem, because Plasma works well, so I would guess that there is some other error on startup.
What I tried:
- rename Kwin config and move plasma files like said in this post https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125034#p329702
- rename cache like also mentioned in the thread linked above
- start without Cairo Dock
- updated Nvidia driver several times during this period of time
- looked through dmesg and .xsessionerrors and didn't find a hint that gave me any conclusion on why this happens

10th November 2017, 05:56 PM
In a terminal (ctrl+alt+Fx if KDE is stuck to use tty) type :

kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell

11th November 2017, 11:23 AM
Thank you for your reply, but starting plasma is not the problem... Yakuake (or any other graphical terminal) works pretty well and KDE responds. Plasma isn't running at all, so I don't need to quit plasma, I just need to start it which also works fine.
The problem I'm dealing with is why plasma fails to load on login? And why it fails one time and starts the other?