View Full Version : [SOLVED] New Kernal Update (4.13.10-200) Breaks Nvidia Drive

7th November 2017, 06:59 PM
Hi, I am having an issue with the last two kernel installs 4.13.9 and 4.13.10 have broken my NVIDIA driver and my computer tries to revert to nouveau which I have blacklisted in F26 so no display driver loads and Gnome crashes. The last kernel to work correctly is 4.13.5 that loads the NVIDIA driver.

Since I'm new to Fedora and Linux, what log file would be helpful to see what is going wrong? Also, is it possible and what command would be used to reinstall the NVIDIA driver on the new kernels from the working kernel to see if it needs to rebuild.

Thanks for the help.

mike w
7th November 2017, 10:03 PM
akmods --force --kernels $(uname -r) should to do the trick to rebuild/reinstall driver.

Also if you reboot right after doing a kernel update stop doing that. Wait a few mins to give akmods time to finish building kernel modules.

7th November 2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the help, fixed it! I just usually let the "Software" application do the updates, should I use dnf instead and let the kernel update process occur?

mike w
7th November 2017, 11:24 PM
I am not familiar with Software method since I am running cinnamon and just use dnf, so I'm not sure how to answer that question. I imagine that akmods should get kicked off either way. You could confirm by monitoring the processes running next time you do a kernel update.