PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard layout Hindi and Bangla (Indian)

Dinesh Sharma
3rd November 2017, 11:49 AM
After upgrade to Fedora 26, I am unable to find keyboard layouts for Hindi and Bangla. What should I install to get these layouts back?

I am using the mate-compiz spin on a fully updated system.

lsatenstein
4th November 2017, 12:10 AM
Region and Language selection should typically have a place to set the two languages to your needs, and to add the keyboard layouts.

Dinesh Sharma
25th November 2017, 05:38 PM
Region and Language selection should typically have a place to set the two languages to your needs, and to add the keyboard layouts.
I am afraid I did not find these options.
I am using Mate as the desktop. I go through the usual process for adding layouts --
`System' on top menu bar -> Preferences->Keyboard, click on the layout tab, click on Add.
The process opens up a menu, allowing me to choose by country or language.
Choosing by country (India) some variants are offered. These do not include Bangla. There is a variant named `Indian' (!) which has a Hindi layout. However when I add it, the option to choose this does not show up on the top menu bar. In any case, the Bangla layout does not even exist as a choice.

Do I need to install a package from somewhere? These layouts did exist in my previous installations.

Dinesh Sharma
12th December 2017, 11:31 AM
I have cut the Gordonian knot and solved the problem by installing Fedora-27 which does not have this problem.
By the way, layouts were not visible on the top panel in Fedora-26-mate since these were being shown in white on a white background. Fedora-27 has corrected this and provides Bangla layout as well.

Next project -- how to mark this thread solved?