PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Password changed automatically, can't enter

Chemgadi
1st November 2017, 10:41 AM
Hey everyone.

I'm totally new to fedora, and Linux in general. Decided to learn from 0 since started learning science engineering degree :)

Today I tried to make fedora open without requiring password in the beginning. Went to settings and somehow it changed the password to a random one. I pressed cancel but probably it didn't help since now I can't open my computer at all. It asks for password and I don't know it.

Fortunately I have nothing important I'm my PC since it's new. What can I do to solve this?

My guess is that the simplest way is to format it again. But how do I do it without logging?

Thanks in advance.

Gadi

topiwala
1st November 2017, 10:59 AM
i think you would have tried the following already
- old password

-pressing enter on blank password field

Other solution

Ctrl+Alt+F2 will send you to different tty terminal try entering as superuser. You will be asked to type username which is "su" and password will be the root password which you entered while installation(two passwords at time of installation one was of root and other was of user). use the "passwd" command to change the passwd of user like this

# passwd <username>

where in place of <username> place your username whose passwd you have forgotton.

After changing passwd type "poweroff" and start again and use new password on the login screen.

EDIT: CORRECTION: the username for root is "root" not "su"

Chemgadi
1st November 2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks very much for your reply.

I've tried what you explain, but I get "login incorrect".

I know what my login is. it's strange that it's incorrect

topiwala
1st November 2017, 11:43 AM
were you able to change password by logging as root? the root users name is "su" not your username.

EDIT: CORECTION:it is "root" not "su"

Chemgadi
1st November 2017, 12:35 PM
no, doesn't work :(

topiwala
1st November 2017, 01:35 PM
"login incorrect" means either password or username is incorrect. I tried with mine.

Chemgadi
1st November 2017, 01:41 PM
isn't there a way to reset the computer without loging in? I tried to search in the web, didn't find the answer

antikythera
1st November 2017, 06:53 PM
to start a reinstall from removable media? hit CTRL+ALT+DEL seven times in quick succession and it will send the restart signal.

lsatenstein
1st November 2017, 07:06 PM
Thanks very much for your reply.

I've tried what you explain, but I get "login incorrect".

I know what my login is. it's strange that it's incorrect

The login for root password is not your logon, but root's

logon :root
passwd:

thereafter passwd yourlogon
and respond

topiwala
1st November 2017, 07:26 PM
I was wrong in saying that the root username was "su". lsatenstein is right that "root" is the username for root. The password will be the one you gave while installation for the root user.

nsnbm
1st November 2017, 11:42 PM
One usually doesn't have to re-install just because of a lost root password. Info on resetting a lost root password is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_reset_a_root_password

Chemgadi
2nd November 2017, 08:14 AM
I was wrong in saying that the root username was "su". lsatenstein is right that "root" is the username for root. The password will be the one you gave while installation for the root user.

Thank you so much for the help! login "root" was successful. Cheers!

topiwala
2nd November 2017, 09:37 AM
were you able to change the user password?

Chemgadi
2nd November 2017, 11:05 AM
yes, using "root" I changed the password to a new one. Although now when I login, I get "The password you use to login to your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring". Still looking for a solution to this

smr54
2nd November 2017, 12:22 PM
That seems to be be a gnome keyring issue. Putting that error into google should give you several solutions.

First hit.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=242177

I'm not familiar with Gnome so have no idea if these are good solutions. :_ The fix linked in that Mint forum thread is from 2010.

lsatenstein
2nd November 2017, 06:08 PM
Check if the following exists: “~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring”.
If so, you may want to rename it or remove it. First try renaming it to see if the message disappears.
If you have keyring password info, you should be able to perform a rename.