PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 26 freezes solid

Omega Blue
29th October 2017, 07:58 AM
Fedora 26 now freezes solid at random intervals, requiring a hardware reboot to regain control. The keyboard locks up, so <ctrl> + <alt> + <del> doesn't work, neither does any attempts to bring up a text console. This has been occurring when I am using Firefox, but there does not seem to be any set action that would trigger such freezing. It happens mostly when I am bringing up a new tab, but can also happen when I am only typing in text.

The main thought occurred to me is not figuring out why it is freezing, but it should not do that in the first place. Remember, oh, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, what we used to say to the Windows fanboys? "Yeah, but Linux never crash, hang or freeze, so there!" This is unacceptable. I can handle when certain applications crash, but the system should not do that, ever.

It pains me to say this, but it is now worse than Windows. My system dual boots Windows XP and Fedora 26, but Windows XP does not freeze solid like that. At least not when I am running Firefox. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with faulty RAM.

Maybe it's time to think about the micro kernel issue again.

flyingdutchman
29th October 2017, 08:17 AM
Well, you do seem to be only soul with this problem, so it must be your electric personality causing the computer to freeze...

You should enable some kernel debug features and look at the kernel logs:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16255334/kernel-freeze-how-to-debug-it

There may an obscure clue in a log file. Use journalctl.

AlexTheoto
29th October 2017, 09:48 AM
Did you checked your pc for faulty capacitors? Did you run testmem? What's your gpu?

nsnbm
29th October 2017, 11:34 AM
If Windows works, it's less likely to be a hardware problem I would think. I've had this problem of solid freeze on an earlier fedora ... can't recall the version ... and it seemed like X driver or video card related because I replaced the video card and the problem disappeared. Perhaps check the video card and driver support and ensure the latest packages of those are installed.

tdrossier
29th October 2017, 01:33 PM
From my (albeit limited) linux experience over the last few years, invariably if there is any kind of freeze/crash/kernel panic issue it turns out to be GUI/video card related. I suspect that the technology of cards in the last several years has advanced so fast that it's tough for the Fedora developers to reverse-engineer the proprietary drivers in a timely fashion. Their only option is to delay new OS releases until they do, but I don't think that would go down well with the community. Plus there's no way to really keep up with something like that and it would just put everything else behind. Two options from my user perspective: a) purchase equipment that is slightly out of date that Fedora is known to work on, or b) buy a new machine and use Windows until Fedora catches up. I'm currently exercising option b, but in the future I may change my mind.