PDA

View Full Version : GNOME lags a little bit. Isn't my video card good enough?

rarity
28th October 2017, 06:57 PM
I always had lags on GNOME and this happens on every distro. My graphics are Radeon HD 7660D. It's just the animations that lags on GNOME, the rest is fine. I can watch a 1440p youtube video and I get no lags. Does GNOME need a very good video card or is the problem GNOME itself? If it's GNOME, is there anyway to fix that? The lags aren't so bad to make GNOME unusable but enough to be a little bit annoying. I can use KDE with all the effects on and it doesn't lags. It's just GNOME and I like the GNOME desktop, I don't want to switch to another one.

sidebrnz
29th October 2017, 12:49 AM
I was going to suggest that you install and try a light weight DE such as Xfce or Enlightenment and see what happens, but if KDE (not exactly lightweight, but not as resource intensive as Gnome) runs fine it's not your graphics card, it's Gnome. Gnome 3 is well known to be a resource hog, using more of your RAM and working your graphics card harder than any other DE that I'm aware of, except possibly Unity. Assuming that your mobo's RAM is maxed out, and you have adequate swap, the only thing that you can do if you want to keep Gnome, is throw some money at a high-end graphics card and hope for the best.

rarity
29th October 2017, 03:38 AM
I was going to suggest that you install and try a light weight DE such as Xfce or Enlightenment and see what happens, but if KDE (not exactly lightweight, but not as resource intensive as Gnome) runs fine it's not your graphics card, it's Gnome. Gnome 3 is well known to be a resource hog, using more of your RAM and working your graphics card harder than any other DE that I'm aware of, except possibly Unity. Assuming that your mobo's RAM is maxed out, and you have adequate swap, the only thing that you can do if you want to keep Gnome, is throw some money at a high-end graphics card and hope for the best.

Well, on wayland it doesn't lag but wayland doesn't work well with my graphic tablet.