PDA

View Full Version : Fedora live usb install frozen during "OK" screen

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 04:27 PM
Computer: Alienware 17 R4 Signature Edition (Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 16GB RAM)
Storage Setup: 1*(256GB SSD) running Windows 10;
1*(1TB SSD) Partitioned into 700GB storage and 300GB Linux partition (The partition I am trying to install Fedora onto);
1*(1TB HDD) just for storage dump.

Trying to install: Fedora Workstation 26 Live USB (multiple attempts tried with Fedora Media Writer, Unetbootin with pick-a-distro at the top, or an ISO file, and Rufus via an ISO file).

This problem occurs during the black and green "OK" screen when booting through my 128GB USB 3.0 jump drive (I have tried multiple USB drives, same result). The screen will freeze and will not continue during this phase. I am not sure what is happening, as I am fairly new to the Linux community, with only a couple of years under my belt in experience. I cannot get past this green "OK" screen unfortunately, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much for your time into helping solve this problem for me.

AlexTheoto
25th October 2017, 07:05 PM
Did you verify the iso?
If you are uefi system, disable 'secure boot'
At bootup, choose to check the integrity before the live session.

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 07:24 PM
Did you verify the iso?
If you are uefi system, disable 'secure boot'
At bootup, choose to check the integrity before the live session.

Secure boot is off, and I have used the ISO files from the Fedora Media Writer, the Fedora Workstation Download Page, and through another mirror. I have the system running in AHCI mode, as I had previously installed Ubuntu MATE and Lubuntu on the partition, both of which I had no problems with whatsoever.

AlexTheoto
25th October 2017, 07:33 PM
I checked the bootup and I didn't see any green OK.
Where do you see this?
The screen is black with blue text but there is no OK option.

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 07:41 PM
I checked the bootup and I didn't see any green OK.
Where do you see this?
The screen is black with blue text but there is no OK option.

I'll walk you through it:

From the normal bootup while my USB is connected, I press F12 to select where I want to boot from, or else it will automatically boot from Lubuntu, which I currently have installed.

I then select the USB option in my BIOS, which comes up as something like USB 128GB Dirve (Fedora 26 Live USB) or something similar.

It takes me to a black screen with a list of running tasks that are getting tested and upon completion of each task it will put a green "OK" to the left of the text. The whole process looks very MSDOS-esque, to build the picture a little bit for you.

This MSDOS looking checklist with the green "OK"s to the left of them is rapidly completing, until it gets to a point where it freezes, and no more new items on the list appear. There are no buttons I can press which in this stage of the bootup, and I have left it alone to do its own thing for about a couple of hours, but it stayed at the same line, unmoved.

I am just having trouble with trying to get past this part of the Live USB bootup. I cannot install Fedora 26 onto my SSD until I run the Live USB, then use the installed built in. I appreciate the help you have given thus far, and I hope we can resolve this situation soon. Thanks.

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 07:45 PM
The attachment is not mine, but it is the screen I am seeing at the time of it freezing when booting into the Fedora 26 Live USB.

It is similar to this, except the green "OK"s go all the way down to the bottom of the screen, where it then tends to generally halt.

AlexTheoto
25th October 2017, 07:54 PM
LOL... I forgot those green OK's. Sorry...

Try to boot on basic graphics. What's your graphic card?
Remove any other usb device.

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 07:56 PM
I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 as my graphics card, as stated in my initial post.

How does one go about booting into Basic Graphics Mode, so that I can install the Nvidia Drivers and then reboot?

AlexTheoto
25th October 2017, 07:59 PM
Choose Troubleshooting

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 08:24 PM
I cant choose troubleshooting, for where you regularly would be choosing troubleshooting, that menu is nothing but a flicker, and it almost instantaneously jumps to the next screen, which happens to be the green "OK" screen unfortunately.

AlexTheoto
25th October 2017, 08:28 PM
So there is a delay between your boot process.
When you power your computer, press repeatedly the down button to stop the countdown.

mcneish4
25th October 2017, 08:30 PM
I will attempt that and get back to you. For now I unfortunately have to head off to work, I appreciate the help you have given me thus far. Thank you very much, and I hope this works. I will reply to this thread as soon as I am able to try that. Thanks!

lsatenstein
26th October 2017, 03:17 AM
How long did you wait when you suspected that the system was locked up? Depending upon your network connection speed, the mirror location and other data (ram space), it could take up to 7 or 8 minutes before the system continues.

mcneish4
26th October 2017, 06:16 AM
I finally have managed to get Fedora 26 to run in Basic Graphics Mode, and I am currently installing Fedora onto the Linux partition of my SSD. Thank you for helping me get to this point, and we are so far so good, it is taking a while to install at 62%, but I hope it doesn't stay that way for too long. I will post another reply if all works out, or let you lot know if I run into any other problems. Thanks again guys, I have been itching to get the bleeding edge Fedora Linux OS onto my computer for some time now, and I appreciate all who have helped me reach this point in the installation. Hope everyone has a great day today, and I will talk to you later!

donatom
28th October 2017, 06:30 PM
If you continue to have problems installing fedora, make sure (as AlexTheoto recommended) you compare the checksum of your iso with that listed on the fedora download page for that partitular iso. Also I would zero out the partition with dd since theoretically (and practically) an old install might interfere with a new system (and could make it difficult or even impossible to install another OS).

sidebrnz
29th October 2017, 12:39 AM
The green [OK] you see is the system reporting progress. If any steps don't go well but the boot continues, you'd see [Failed] in red for that step. The important thing here is, the system is hanging somewhere after the last [OK], but before it reports success or failure on the next step. What is the last reported step, because somebody who knows more about this than I do may be able to work out what step is causing this.